Staybegind

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have a lot of information and even if it might be boring to read it might help to understand my problem.
I have played World of Warcraft for a long time. And my pc could never handle it. I always had to lower the settings in order to receive an optimal performance.
The final change in my pc was the upgrade from GTX 1060 3GB to GTX 1070 Ti. I saw that the Vram were all used up and the fps would drop.
But now that the gpu has 8 gb vram and can handle a huge load it seems that there might be another problem.
In the cities with many people or flashier dungeons or raids the fps drops lower than 60. It might be 50, sometimes 40. In the larger cities it's constantly around 40.
So as i made some research even after a lot of time in 2020 World of Warcraft Shadowlands was released and it still mainly depended on one thread. I used MSI Afterburner to see that all the threads would be around 40-50% utilization and an 8th thread would be 80+% utilized.
But I am not sure if upgrading the cpu would help. As it seems there should still be at least one thread that bottlenecks while being capped at 100% utilization.
So I looked into that cpu is also ram dependant.
The specs are:
Asus TUF Gaming B460-PLUS
GTX 1070 Ti
Intel i3 10100
GOODRAM 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz CL16 single stick

I also noticed that my ram are running at only 2133 MHz. I found out that it was something called XMP that is disabled in the BIOS and enabling it might void the cpu warranty.
Anyway, so my guesses are that the threads never go to 100% and i just need a better processor. Another guess is that the ram are the bottleneck, because they are used 13GB out of usable 16GB. Had similar issue when i had 4GB.
Another solution is that i saw that using a dual stick ram might take off load of cpu. Maybe enabling the XMP would solve the bottleneck issue.
So this is what i found out in my time, but i could not see a clear solution which part is my weak link and if changing one part would solve anything. Maybe it's just badly optimized game, even though i saw people run in pretty smoothly at much larger fps count.
So I wanted to ask someone who knew better how everything works for your opinions, thank you!

Solution
Mass online games tend to be cpu bound, and if it's cpu bound, it's usually ram bandwidth bound too, since the cpu and ram work in tandem with one another.
Many games, if not all of them, are bound by a single thread that handles every single command/task from the game engine - even commands to other threads.

The weakest link is most likely this: GOODRAM 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz CL16 single stick
You can either add another, which is generally not recommended due to it being a gamble and you becoming a tester, or buy a new 2x 8GB kit and give the single stick the boot.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Mass online games tend to be cpu bound, and if it's cpu bound, it's usually ram bandwidth bound too, since the cpu and ram work in tandem with one another.
Many games, if not all of them, are bound by a single thread that handles every single command/task from the game engine - even commands to other threads.

The weakest link is most likely this: GOODRAM 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz CL16 single stick
You can either add another, which is generally not recommended due to it being a gamble and you becoming a tester, or buy a new 2x 8GB kit and give the single stick the boot.

Reactions: tennis2
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In the cities with many people or flashier dungeons or raids the fps drops lower than 60.
That's all cpu, not ram or gpu, you have plenty there. The massive amount of Ai brought by 3d objects, npcs, players etc kills a cpu, especially if that cpu is on the low end and the thread is master.

You have a 10100, that's not exactly a workhorse cpu.

So what you'll need to do is tailor your detail settings. That doesn't mean just switching presets, that's killing graphics quality, you need to alleviate pressure on the cpu. Things like dropping nametags that aren't necessary, floating damage, grass detail, viewing distance, shadows, lighting affects, bloom etc and other CPU bound individual settings.