PC whea error boot loop

Oct 4, 2018
I recently used AI suite 3 to overclock my 6700k and upon doing so my pc shut off and it wouldn't turn on. After countless attempts to get it to work, moving ram around trying new motherboards taking out gpu and booting from on-board it just wont boot. It does a few circles then bluescreens. It even bluescreens when trying to boot from a usb to repair it.
Specs: 16gb corsair 3600mhz ram
i7 6700k
Asus z270 prime a motherboard (the one that the oc was done with.
Gigabyte z270p-o3 the new motherboard I tried
650w bronze corsair psu.
Gtx 1080 asus strix.
Samsung 250gb ssd (boot drive)
WD 500gb hdd
Seagate barracuda 2tb

Any help figuring out if my cpu died would be great. I can still get into BIOS and it shows up fine there it just crashes when trying to load windows.

Oct 4, 2018

I have tried a different ram kit, I've tried all different slot combinations nothing works. I tried internal graphics but it wouldn't show anything on screen, I don't have access to a different psu so I haven't tried that. I'm visiting a friend on Thursday so I shall try their psu then.

DavidM012

Distinguished
The AI suite would have changed some bios settings to enable the overclock so by that logic resetting to defaults by clearing the cmos should set everything back to zero. Power off, switch off the mains, drain residual power by pressing the power button a few times and then lift the cmos battery and put it back after 30 seconds.

I would get to know your bios and overclock manually 1 step at a time 0.1ghz with small voltage increments also search the forum for the voltages others have used at each stage, as a guide, or else make one of your own findings, rather than try and press a button in software that's supposed to do it automatically.

You need to find the limits of your chip's oc capacity by testing each stage and monitoring the voltages and temp. for some hours worth of gaming at each step.

Switching out all the parts didn't do anything to reset the bios to defaults.

The software could have set the voltage too high or too low or you could have been trying to apply too high an overclock without knowing the limits of the board and cpu.

Oct 4, 2018

I tried clearing everything and resetting the bios, but the same problem still occurs, I tried a new separate motherboard and still the same thing :/ I'm gonna stay far away from OC if I'm honest for my kind of work the risk isn't really worth the reward. I have also tried the unplugging everything and pressing the power button and taking the battery out. None of it wants to work.

DavidM012

Distinguished
well it sounds like it powers on and POSTS and you can get into the bios. Earlier reports with win 7 years ago report a similar issue with AI suite:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1695793/bluescreen-suite-overclock.html

This one says it corrupted the windows registry. I would disconnect all peripherals, except for the hard disk, including the gpu and boot with integrated gfx,

Totally wipe your drive partitions and reinstall from zero. Or if possible, if you have another drive, simply try to reinstall windows on that. Then you could connect up the first drive and salvage any data on it.

If none of that works then it's off to the repair shop. I can't imagine what else it could be. You could keep searching the web for issues related to ai suite 3 overclocks there's quite a lot of bsod threads about that whether you will find an identical solved thread I couldn't tell there's a lot of it.

Could be the psu as you initially thought obviously something is different and electronic faults could cause unpredictable problems but it's difficult to pin down.

Oct 4, 2018

Thank you for the help, I don't want to seem dumb, I just want to be super clear. I have a laptop I can put my ssd into, do I do that and just do a clean reinstall of windows, put it back in my pc that way and see if it works?

DavidM012

Distinguished
what I would do is see if windows setup would boot off the usb without the ssd connected and also check that all the cables are secure and there's no exposed wires from cruddy molexes and fan headers and anything that might be causing a short like a loose screw or some contaminant in the chassis, try and isolate the problem one step at a time.

You could try reinstalling windows from your laptop that way I don't like it because moving the drive would cause windows to have to reload the mobo drivers and that's kind of losing the plot a bit.

Wipe the partitions in your laptop and try and reinstall windows on the machine if windows setup will load with the usb drive alone.

Oct 4, 2018

Tried new everything other than cpu, nothing seems to work tried a brand new hhd with a windows install on it machine error exception or something along those lines popped up on the BSOD. New psu made no difference either :/

DavidM012

Distinguished
Maybe it really is your cpu then you've tried it in two different boards I don't know of any other way of testing a cpu. Bios is at defaults, everything the same as before the software overclock, maybe it over-volted the cpu. Windows not loading could be a symptom of a cpu problem when I was first learning to overclock I tended to under rather than over volt and windows would bsod. Next stop, maybe you could rma the cpu.

You didn't say if windows setup would load with a usb drive alone, without any other peripherals connected so I don't know for sure what's been going on.

Oct 4, 2018
They do have 3 year warranty and I bought it 2016 December so I think I might just be covered. Was also thinking, maybe if I dial in stock voltage and ghz that might bring it back to life perhaps?
Also loading with only the USB connected with windows on it would still cause it to BSOD.

DavidM012

Distinguished
I thought you had set the bios to defaults so it should be stock voltage already but I suppose you can try anything you want.

so it should boot as if the board was new ?

If it doesn't load windows with default bios settings that means it might have been over-volted and taken partial damage rather than so much damage it wouldn't switch on.

Very likely damaged if windows won't load with a usb drive alone. You tried different dimms and a different motherboard, psu and disk I think it's reasonable to draw the line at the software somehow over volting the cpu and causing damage.

Oct 4, 2018

Okay, much appreciated with all your input it helped a lot! I've contacted intel to see if I can claim warranty on it.