Question PC which previously ran fine, now suddenly stutters in some games ?

Partitionmissing

Prominent
Oct 25, 2020
hey guys,
since the last 2 weeks I have problems with my pc especially with my beloved main game rust, when I start it and tab out my computer freezes and only works again when the game is completely open or loaded (main menu). By the way i have 32gb corsair vengance rgb ram installed and when i start the game the rgb lighting freezes for a short time but then continues to work.

When i am ingame on a server the game feels really stuttery and not smooth even though i’m usually getting around 70-100 fps depending on the server and area.
I did a clean install of my graphics driver ( i have a gtx 1080 ).

I also reinstalled the ram driver and updated the bios. I checked the ssd the game is installed on (samsung evo 860 500gb) and checked the ram too but there isn t a single error message nor any other failure. I also reinstalled rust and tried starting it as administrator.
Btw, the game used to run smooth and completly stutter-free.

my specs:
CPU: Ryzen9 3900X with Noctua
NH-D15 chromax.black
GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 1080 Phoenix Golden Sample 8GB
RAM: 4x8GB DDR4 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3200MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite Bios Version F30
Storage: 3x Samsung Evo 860 (2x500gb 1x 1tb)
Windows 10 pro version 19043

Partitionmissing

Prominent
Oct 25, 2020
First of all thank you both for the help so far i haven t tried window mode before and tabing out of the game is only one problem. Running very poorly and stuttery is more or less the main problem which sadly isn t fixed by just not tabing out or changing the view mode.
I tried a lot already and yet i have no idea what exactly should have changed over the course of the last 2 weeks. I haven t installed new drivers nor any updates, my cpu, ram, gpu, motherboard are working fine, my storage which are in total 4 ssds are also completly fine (crystaldisk).
And the game rust as all other games ran fine for years now i mean most games do still run fine but rust is really stuttery lately.

The only real old component in my pc is the power supply it's a thermaltake 650W Paris 80+ Gold and probably arround 7-9 years old.
Could the power supply be the reason for the sutter issues? I mean performance wise i am getting the same fps as before when the games ran without stutter issues.

KyaraM

Admirable
First of all thank you both for the help so far i haven t tried window mode before and tabing out of the game is only one problem. Running very poorly and stuttery is more or less the main problem which sadly isn t fixed by just not tabing out or changing the view mode.
I tried a lot already and yet i have no idea what exactly should have changed over the course of the last 2 weeks. I haven t installed new drivers nor any updates, my cpu, ram, gpu, motherboard are working fine, my storage which are in total 4 ssds are also completly fine (crystaldisk).
And the game rust as all other games ran fine for years now i mean most games do still run fine but rust is really stuttery lately.

The only real old component in my pc is the power supply it's a thermaltake 650W Paris 80+ Gold and probably arround 7-9 years old.
Could the power supply be the reason for the sutter issues? I mean performance wise i am getting the same fps as before when the games ran without stutter issues.
Could be. Do you have HWINFO to see what the different rails are saying? If any of the different rails shows weird numbers, eg if the 12V rail shows only 11V, that would be an indicator that the PSU is failing. Tolerance is around +/-5%. But even if it doesn't, that's no indicator that everything is okay. Will only know if you try out a different PSU and see if things improve. But older PSUs that were used a long time and degraded can indeed cause a multitude of issues.

Partitionmissing

Prominent
Oct 25, 2020
yeah i have HWINFO for 12V it's 12.096V / 5V it's 5.070 / 3.3V it's 3.228V so nothing special ''sadly'' Could it be my ram ? i have 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Quad Kit (4x 8GB) i already checked them with memtest and also the windows integrated memory test and both didn t list any errors. The reason for thinking it might be the ram is that when i start the game rust the ram led animation stops for a seconds and than resets and goes on like normal and in this time frame when i click on anything on my pc like opening taskmanager / chrome tab whatever or tab out my pc freezes until rust is fully loaded into the main menu and after that when i join a server i get my usual 70-100 fps but gameplay feels stuttery and not as smooth as before this strange issues accured.