[SOLVED] PC wifi frequently drops but stays connected to hotspot

gmagdna

Prominent
Jul 16, 2018
Dell Inspiron 3646
Win 8.1
AT&T service with the NVG589 gateway/modem

Issue: The PC frequently loses internet connection. To be clear, the gateway shows wireless is functioning (solid green light) and on the PC the wifi SSID shows to be Connected with a strong signal but it will not reach the internet. However, if the PC is switched to an iPhone hotspot all works as expected and there are no surprise disconnections. It will stay connected until manually disconnected. Then there's this...there is a Ring security system and a eufy doorbell connected to the same SSID as the PC (unified 2.4 and 5 SSID) which have full functionality when the PC shows to be Connected but the internet will not work. The live feed for the doorbell works without issue, notifications come through, and it shows to be connected to wifi with a strong signal. Similarly for the Ring system, notifications come through , the device shows to be online, etc...

On the PC I have already"
  1. removed and re-added the AT&T network
  2. Confirmed wifi adapter has IPv4 set to dynamically obtain IP
  3. removed and re-added the wireless adapter
What am I missing for why the PC is having an issue with the local wifi but will connect without issue, at any time, to a hotspot, and stay connected?

Solution
Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your platform. A10 being the latest BIOS. If you have a number of BIOS updates pending, gradually work your way to the latest version. Then turn your attention to the drivers. Uninstall your wireless adapter's drivers(prior to that note the make and model of your wireless adapter, in Device Manager), reboot system and then manually install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Lutfij

Titan
Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your platform. A10 being the latest BIOS. If you have a number of BIOS updates pending, gradually work your way to the latest version. Then turn your attention to the drivers. Uninstall your wireless adapter's drivers(prior to that note the make and model of your wireless adapter, in Device Manager), reboot system and then manually install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Solution

gmagdna

Prominent
Jul 16, 2018

Clearly they both needed to be done but I don't understand why the outdated BIOS, or a driver issue would cause the problems I was seeing with wifi but not a hotspot, but it seems one was the culprit. About 18 hours post repair and the PC is staying connected to wifi.