Question PC WiFi speed is painfully slow

Nov 23, 2021
Hi all,

I am getting abysmal speed out of my PC's wifi connection. Online games are pretty much out of the question because of intense lag. I don't know much about the factors that go into this so I was hoping someone here could help. I used to have great speeds with the same hardware not that long ago, so I assumed my network card isn't just junk =P

Using Google's internet speed test, I get around 1-10 Mbps of download speed with a latency of 10-15. Yet my laptop that is sitting just six feet away from me is getting 230 Mbps and the same latency. My PC has a Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 wireless network adapter, and I have also tried using a LinkSys Compact Wireless-G USB adapter. Neither one is better than the other. My laptop is using an Intel Wireless Dual Band-AC 8260.

Our ISP is through Xfinity/Comcast and I have no complaints beyond this recent issue. The modem issued by the company is on the first floor of the house and these two computers are downstairs in the basement, though again, even with the signal travelling through barriers and distance, I am accustomed to this machine running much faster. I have tried both 2.4 and 5 Ghz frequency with no real difference. I've also made sure the drivers on each device are up to date.

I expect more information than this is needed, but I'm not sure what specifically to include. If anyone can help me out here, just tell me what you need.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021
Still looking for help. I've read that my network card's software suite, Killer Control Center, can mess things up quite handily but I did not have that installed. I tried downloading it and playing with the settings within but with no luck, so I went ahead and uninstalled as so many people reported problems with it.

The other day I set up the PC upstairs, right next to the router, just to be certain the issue isn't one of distance or barriers and it did not improve my speeds. I've also tried a lot of small tweaks like power cycle the router, a DNS flush, making certain the computer won't disable the network device to save power... a while back I was playing around with changing channels on the 2.4 and 5GHz frequencies, though I don't know if I could have done more there.

Again, any advice is appreciated.

kanewolf

Titan
Still looking for help. I've read that my network card's software suite, Killer Control Center, can mess things up quite handily but I did not have that installed. I tried downloading it and playing with the settings within but with no luck, so I went ahead and uninstalled as so many people reported problems with it.

The other day I set up the PC upstairs, right next to the router, just to be certain the issue isn't one of distance or barriers and it did not improve my speeds. I've also tried a lot of small tweaks like power cycle the router, a DNS flush, making certain the computer won't disable the network device to save power... a while back I was playing around with changing channels on the 2.4 and 5GHz frequencies, though I don't know if I could have done more there.

Again, any advice is appreciated.
Start with basic things like having a unique SSID on 2.4 and 5Ghz so that you can be sure you are connecting to 5Ghz. Look at the link rate of the WIFI connection.
Remove all the Killer software except the drivers.
Verify performance of the PC with a wired connection.

Nov 23, 2021
Start with basic things like having a unique SSID on 2.4 and 5Ghz so that you can be sure you are connecting to 5Ghz. Look at the link rate of the WIFI connection.
Remove all the Killer software except the drivers.
Verify performance of the PC with a wired connection.

Thanks for taking the time! I am definitely connecting to the right network frequency. 2.4 Ghz seems more stable for me, but I am getting the same speed regardless. All the Killer software is gone. Didn't even have the suite installed until recently when I thought it might help. Here are some stats of what I'm working with.

SSID: HOME-43EF-2.4
Protocol: 802.11g
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 2.4 GHz
Network channel: 6
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 54/54 (Mbps)
Manufacturer: Linksys,a division of Cisco Systems,Inc.
Description: Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter #3
Driver version: 4.0.10.1
Physical address (MAC): 00-22-6B-A1-0B-B0

SSID: HOME-43EF-5
Protocol: Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 36
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 866/866 (Mbps)
Manufacturer: Qualcomm Communications Inc.
Description: Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter
Driver version: 12.0.0.1118
Physical address (MAC): 9C-B6-D0-00-D2-5D

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for taking the time! I am definitely connecting to the right network frequency. 2.4 Ghz seems more stable for me, but I am getting the same speed regardless. All the Killer software is gone. Didn't even have the suite installed until recently when I thought it might help. Here are some stats of what I'm working with.

SSID: HOME-43EF-2.4
Protocol: 802.11g
Network band: 2.4 GHz
Network channel: 6
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 54/54 (Mbps)
Manufacturer: Linksys,a division of Cisco Systems,Inc.
Description: Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter #3
Driver version: 4.0.10.1
Physical address (MAC): 00-22-6B-A1-0B-B0

SSID: HOME-43EF-5
Protocol: Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 36
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 866/866 (Mbps)
Manufacturer: Qualcomm Communications Inc.
Description: Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter
Driver version: 12.0.0.1118
Physical address (MAC): 9C-B6-D0-00-D2-5D
The 5Ghz WIFI looks like it is working correctly an 866Mbit link speed is about the max you can get. So the WIFI hardware seems to be working. Having the USB and the Killer connected at the same time could be confusing Windows and the router.

Nov 23, 2021
Having the USB and the Killer connected at the same time could be confusing Windows and the router.

I gave it a shot to disconnect the LinkSys USB and did a reboot, but sadly no change. I found an old Reddit post from 5yrs ago mentioning people having problems with the Killer 1535 card. It links to some older driver versions which I tracked down. Mine are newer but do you think it would be worthwhile to try that version?

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/69cnci/for_all_of_you_with_killer_1535_wifi_problems_new/

kanewolf

Titan
I gave it a shot to disconnect the LinkSys USB and did a reboot, but sadly no change. I found an old Reddit post from 5yrs ago mentioning people having problems with the Killer 1535 card. It links to some older driver versions which I tracked down. Mine are newer but do you think it would be worthwhile to try that version?

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/69cnci/for_all_of_you_with_killer_1535_wifi_problems_new/
I don't know. I purposefully avoid killer hardware.