Question PC will freeze and can't be turned off

happy4pizza

Prominent
Jul 2, 2020
My computer has been sitting in my room with little use. Recently, I took it out and cleaned the hardware and software. I used an air can to clean my hardware and factory reset windows. After the restart, I installed my drivers and started to use my PC. At first everything was fine, then after a little while I got a blue screen of death "Kernel_Security_Check_Failure". I let the blue screen run its course then hoped back. Around 15 minutes later I received a blue screen this time with "irql_not_less_or_equal". I let it go. Used my computer for 30 minutes then everything froze, I couldn't use my mouse or keyboard and animation were frozen in the middle. I tried to turn off my pc using the button on the case it didn't work. Then I tried to turn it off using the button on my motherboard, that didn't work either. Finally, I just turned off my power supply then turned on my pc. I started to Google solution, and after a couple minutes same thing happened my computer froze and I couldn't turn it off. This time I tried the reset button on the case and it worked perfectly. I am wondering what is causing the issue and how I fix it?

Things I've Tried:
  • Updated Bios
  • Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic (no problem)
  • In CMD ran sfc /scannow (some files corrupted but fixed, problem persisted, ran again no files corrupted)
  • Factory reset windows again (everything worked until I changed the location of my Desktop folder changed back, problem persisted. Don't think that is the problem)
  • monitored CPU and GPU temps (no overheating)
  • Drivers up to date
Possible causes?
  • My mom touched the grounded motherboard backplate and received a shock (motherboard or cpu fried?)
  • Changed location of desktop folder along with Docs, music, 3d objects, downloads, and pictures. (Changed location to default problem still persisted)
  • Too much thermal paste on CPU
  • Bad drivers
  • Corrupted windows update
  • PSU going bad
  • MOBO going bad
  • CPU going bad
  • Storage going bad
  • Bad bios
  • Too much power draw?
  • ??? Short with case ???

My PC specs:
Intel Core i7-5820
Asus x-99A
Asus STRIX 980 ti
Corsair CX750M 750 Watt 80 PLUS Bronze PSU
Samung 850 EVO SSD 250GB (boot drive, has space)
4 x WD black 1tb hard drive
2 x HyperX FURY 8GB ddr4
Old model Kraken x61
Cooler Master Stryker Case

-- None of my parts are overclocked --

Update: I just tried to do another factory restart and Windows said it couldn't restart.

Last edited: