[SOLVED] PC will not boot after attempted RAM upgrade

dlloyd1025

Reputable
Jul 16, 2018
Attempted to upgrade RAM on a custom built PC, but new RAM would not allow PC to boot. Now I returned all the old RAM back as it was before, and I’m still getting 3 beeps and will not boot. It worked fine before I attempted RAM upgrade, I tried reseating all RAM and PCI cards. Please help!

Solution
Put in just one stick it the first (blue) slot from the CPU and see if it will post/boot. (this is one of those board that works with the first and third slot instead of the more common second and fourth)
If it does boot from a Memtest86 USB to test that stick. Do the same with each stick.

Then test in matched pairs. Put a stick in the first and third slots and test with Memtest86.
I have witnessed that people who aren't familiar with RAM installation often don't put enough force into sticking the RAM in the slot.
When you have the two tabs open and push the RAM in, the two tabs should almost fully close to hold the RAM in place just from you pushing the RAM into the slot.

And yes, full system specs, please.

dlloyd1025

Reputable
Jul 16, 2018
The motherboard of the system is an Intel DP35DP, I have four 2GB RAM filling all four of the slots. I am getting 3 beeps, even after I put the old memory that worked back into the slots.

Phillipson

Honorable
Jun 14, 2016
Off top of my head I'm thinking some error in your CMOS settings. The place that stores hardware information upon powering up. Maybe it became corrupted during your initial RAM install. Try clearing your CMOS settings?

Put in just one stick it the first (blue) slot from the CPU and see if it will post/boot. (this is one of those board that works with the first and third slot instead of the more common second and fourth)
If it does boot from a Memtest86 USB to test that stick. Do the same with each stick.

Then test in matched pairs. Put a stick in the first and third slots and test with Memtest86.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS