[SOLVED] PC WILL NOT BOOT (Blackscreen)

KaptainTacticus

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2014
So, I turned my PC on today and as the title says, it will not boot. I turn it on and a black screen appears with a white dash and that's it. The PC when used yesterday, was working fine with nothing raising a cause for concern. The cpu did need delidding however, I had disabled the overclock till I did this to ensure it didnt over heat. Everything in the system seems to have power, with all fans including the cpu cooler working. The gpu has it's light on however, the fans are not turning(cause of the problem?). Wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what might have gone wrong.
specs:
i5 4690k
asus z97-p
gtx 970
8gb 1866 mhz hyper x
corsair 750m
adata su 500
wd black 1tb
Edit: I have since taken out the gpu and cleared the CMOS however, the problem persists.

Last edited:

KaptainTacticus

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2014
And, how did you figure that out ?

A few months ago I was looking into ocing the i5 however, no matter the voltage or clock speed, it would always instantly hit 100 degrees C in intel burn test on at least one core. As I'm sure you know the thermal limit is 100 degrees C so the cpu would automatically clock down when this happened. Even when I then got rid of the oc and reverted to default voltage/clock speed it still did that in intel burn test (the high temps were not caused by the cooler). For most gaming use it rarely went above 75 degrees C and so I never got round to delidding it as it didnt seem that important unless I wanted to OC.

KaptainTacticus

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2014
I'm not an expert on CPU'c and their inner workings, but from what you describe, I'd guess you have stressed it too much and that you may have a faulty CPU.

You could be right, but under typical load the cpu was never exceeding 75 degrees C so I would be surprised if it had failed. Also prior to this happening there were no real irregularities such as BSODs or system freezes, common to that of a failing cpu.

KaptainTacticus

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2014
I'm not an expert on CPU'c and their inner workings, but from what you describe, I'd guess you have stressed it too much and that you may have a faulty CPU.

I have tried using a different PSU and the pc no longer seems to Black screen and boots normally. Seems it is most likely caused by my CX 750M which alot of other people seem to have issues with.

Reactions: Grobe