Question PC will not boot with hdd plugged in.

Computing Novice

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
Ok so I currently using my spare parts from my PC build to build a PC for my friend but I'm running into a problem that I can't seem to work out. At first my problem was that I was getting the error that system "can not find required map name" I found out that that simply ment that the hdd was not getting power, so I looked and it wasn't plugged in. So I power it off and plug it in but when I go to power it back on, the fans spin for a second and then nothing. So I unplug the hdd and I get the error again. I try plugging in the hdd after the PC was on (bad move) the PC turns off, then turns on and the sata cable heats up and melts so I quickly unplug and power off everything I wait about 5 minutes and make sure everything is working. So with the sata hdd unplugged I once again get the same error.

(Note) the parts are not mounted in a case I have the parts out on my desk and I'm using the screwdriver trick to start it.

I have used two different hdd but I'm met with the same results.
Parts list:
Msi b75a-ie35
i7-2600
×2 4gb 2Rx8 pc3
Radeon rx 480
Corsair cx650m
Any advice is appreciated.

Dave8671

Distinguished
Seems like the corsair psu has an overcharge. Really never plug in a Sata drive cable when the power is on. If a psu dies that this one is failing need to replace it. There is a reason every component in a pc is grounded. I would have it tested and replaced if it overcharging like that. Any connector damage will cause this also it pins youch inside the connector. How old is the psu?

Let confirm a few things. This drive is from a older computer? Is there a Operating system on it?

Computing Novice

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
The original drive is new, it does not have an os on it, same with the second one. I was in the process of installing an os when I ran into this problem. I realized that I had no way to get to the bios.

TRENDING THREADS