PC will not fully power off

soulreaper571

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
This just started today. I'm turning off my computer and the screen will go black and the peripherals will shut off, but the tower itself will not stop running. I have to do a forced shutdown by holding down the power button.
I have Googled the issue and could not find any helpful Solutions. I've run the command prompt looking for integrity violations, I've change the power settings, I've even made sure everything inside the computer was plugged in properly.
If anyone has any advice I really appreciate it. I would rather not deal with doing a full system restore unless I have no other options. Thank you.

It's likely a software issue and you'll have to find which software is preventing your system form shutting down correctly. It may also be a new driver that you recently downloaded. Try to remember the date that this issue started and then start uninstalling every software or driver that you have installed recently. You have to do it one at a time. After each installation you have to restart windows and and after a minute or two, select shutdown. If it works then you have found the suspect. An alternative is to use a system restore point (if you are using that service) back to a date that you are certain that you system was shutting down without issues. Good luck.

EDIT. Also as a test try to disable/uninstall your antivirus/internet security suite (if you happen to have one), as this kind of software may cause this issue. But remember that you have to do a restart before testing the shutdown.