[SOLVED] Pc will not post after GPU upgrade.

NiallHT

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
Hi, today I was helping my friend upgrade from his 1080 to a 3060ti, we did a Display Driver uninstaller (DDU)
After cleaning his pc and installing the new GPU we failed to get a post all the fans turn on and so does the RGB, I have been over the whole pc and all the cables seem to be in correctly.
We then tried the old GPU and still it wouldn't post to the monitor.
I read somewhere it could have been a motherboard issue and I tried removing the CMOS and draining the power, But still no luck.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Solution
Hi, today I was helping my friend upgrade from his 1080 to a 3060ti, we did a Display Driver uninstaller (DDU)
After cleaning his pc and installing the new GPU we failed to get a post all the fans turn on and so does the RGB, I have been over the whole pc and all the cables seem to be in correctly.
I read somewhere it could have been a motherboard issue and I tried removing the CMOS and draining the power, But still no luck.

It will be better to have the full system specs, in the meantime some stuff to try in no specific order (I would read it all first):

* Turn off the PC, remove the power cable from the...

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model(and wattage).

Reactions: kurdtnz

It will be better to have the full system specs, in the meantime some stuff to try in no specific order (I would read it all first):

* Turn off the PC, remove the power cable from the wall, remove the cmos battery and keep it out for at least 5 minutes. Press the power buttons a few times and hold it down for 30 seconds to drain any residual energy. Look at your motherboard manual and press the clear cmos button. If it does not come with one you need to look on how to shortcut the clear cmos pins.

After that plug the power cable back to the wall and turn On the PC.

Make sure you plug all the pcie power cables to the GPU, that you monitor/display is getting juice and its ON, and that you plug the display (monitor) cable into the right port on your new GPU.

--------------------
Also since you clean the PC check that all the cables and devices are well fit on thier place/ports.

---------------------
Remove 1 memory stick and try with only 1 stick.

---------------------
Since you have your old GPU you can try * with your old GPU in place and see if it post. If you have a CPU with integrated graphics remove all the discrete GPUs and try to boot with that (plug the display cable to the motherboard now!)

Finally, if you get to post with igpu or gtx 1080, get into BIOS and check for something that said .... pcie1 16X port.... options(Auto, Gen1, Gen2, Gen3, Gen4) and try with Auto or Gen 3/4 and see if that mames a difference.

Good luck! (and yeah, full systems specs will be great).

Last edited:
Solution