Question Pc will not post after new AIO installed.

Apr 21, 2023
Specs:
Cooler master ML360 mirror
Msi mpg b550
Msi 2080ti
Ryzen 7 3800x
32gb Corsair vengeance 3600mhz

The pc worked completely fine with the original wraith cooler when I first got it. This is an existing issue with the aio which oddly fixed itself and has been fine for a very long time (over a year), i still got occasional bsods which were always different errors. It has now not been able to POST again in the last couple days and I want to figure out why.

I have also found after looking that I am unsure by the instructions manual as to which header is actually the correct one for the pump.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Typically speaking, if you had this issue at the start and then just "sort of fixed itself" seems to indicate to me that the cooler block may have been mounted too tightly or possibly tighter to a side or corner. It may have settled in to working, but eventually damaged the socket/motherboard and now won't POST.

I don't know this to be so, just my guess.

I would pull the motherboard and minimum parts to post including your GPU breadboarded on the motherboard box with the stock cooler and see if you get a post.

Now, this is also going on the assumption that the problem (and the ONLY) problem is somehow related to this AIO since it is how you presented the issue. There could be completely unrelated factors at play. Do you have another PC system available to test parts?

Apr 21, 2023
Typically speaking, if you had this issue at the start and then just "sort of fixed itself" seems to indicate to me that the cooler block may have been mounted too tightly or possibly tighter to a side or corner. It may have settled in to working, but eventually damaged the socket/motherboard and now won't POST.

I don't know this to be so, just my guess.

I would pull the motherboard and minimum parts to post including your GPU breadboarded on the motherboard box with the stock cooler and see if you get a post.

Now, this is also going on the assumption that the problem (and the ONLY) problem is somehow related to this AIO since it is how you presented the issue. There could be completely unrelated factors at play. Do you have another PC system available to test parts?
I have always tried my best to hand tighten the cooler block one rotation before it becomes too difficult. Although it could be possible.

Though after further test I was able to get it to post with any of the four sticks of ram, as long as it was in specifically DIMMA2.
I also updated to the latest bios as it was quite dated. But still the same problem.

I could only theorise that the AIO was the issue as that’s exactly when the problems began. But other factors could be present.
I have only another of the same CPU (ryzen 7 3800x) and a GPU (rx 6700xt).

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
RAM can be bad in itself, the motherboard can cause RAM issues, and the CPU can also be the culprit.

I would suggest that if you haven't, clear the CMOS and see if it will boot with all sticks of RAM.

Might be worthwhile if that doesn't do the trick to check the pins on the CPU, perhaps even swap back in the other CPU and see if it will POST. For testing that, I would probably use the air cooler you have on hand just for a function check.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Apr 21, 2023
RAM can be bad in itself, the motherboard can cause RAM issues, and the CPU can also be the culprit.

I would suggest that if you haven't, clear the CMOS and see if it will boot with all sticks of RAM.

Might be worthwhile if that doesn't do the trick to check the pins on the CPU, perhaps even swap back in the other CPU and see if it will POST. For testing that, I would probably use the air cooler you have on hand just for a function check.
Speaking of that, I may actually have another set of RAM on hand to test first. As for the Mobo, when the issue first revealed itself I did buy a new B550 Mobo but the issue repeated itself the exact same.
I’ll try my best to whittle that down over the next few days when I find time. I’ll come back with an update.

Thanks for your help so far!

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Speaking of that, I may actually have another set of RAM on hand to test first. As for the Mobo, when the issue first revealed itself I did buy a new B550 Mobo but the issue repeated itself the exact same.
I’ll try my best to whittle that down over the next few days when I find time. I’ll come back with an update.

Thanks for your help so far!

Does this issue have anything to do with why you have (2) of the same CPU?

Apr 21, 2023
It does not, the other was for my girlfriends build that we didn’t really get the rest of the parts for yet.
Follow up; put an older fan cooler in, reset the cmos, gave the pc a little tlc and it has booted. It did struggle on a little boot cycle for 20-30 seconds (could have been less, the anticipation was high). But ultimately the system is online.

I’ll give it a bit of a stress test and see.

Apr 21, 2023
The delay in boot could have just been memory training, probably nothing to be concerned about.
I ran a sfc, it said some corrupt files were repaired. Not sure if this could’ve played any part. The pc didn’t seem to struggle and running fine so far.

Thank you again for your input punkncat!

Apr 21, 2023
I ran a sfc, it said some corrupt files were repaired. Not sure if this could’ve played any part. The pc didn’t seem to struggle and running fine so far.

Thank you again for your input punkncat!
Update from Apr-22 till May-12. Everything was fine until the system random switched off and has again gotten stuck at the same point and will not post.