Question PC will not POST properly

chickenwim

Prominent
Feb 4, 2019
A few weeks ago my PC would occasionally not startup properly. I ignored the problem because I was usually able to get it going the second try or so. Within a couple days this problem became more common to a point where I would have to restart maybe 5 or 10 tries to get it running, and eventually I couldn’t start it at all.
To describe the problem, I would start the computer up normally by pressing the power button on the case. LED’s inside the case as well as on my keyboard and mouse light up. I can hear and see all the fans spinning. My monitor gets an input signal, but no ASUS logo, no BIOS. Just a black screen with one exception that I’ll mention later.

First I dusted everything, didn’t do anything. Then I unplugged everything I could and plugged it back in (if there were alternate ports or slots like the RAM slots, I tried that too) and that didn’t solve it either. I’ve switched monitors and the HDMI cord, no dice. Doesn’t seem to make a difference. I’ve tried unplugging the GPU and running the HDMI through the motherboard. Same problem. I’ve tried switching the RAM around (the red light next to the RAM seemed normal) as well as switching out my RAM with a different set. No different results.
I tried a different and better power supply and ran into the same problem.

No beeps or anything, my monitor gets a signal but it’s just a black screen that never goes to the logo or BIOS. The only feedback I’ve ever gotten is that one time I forgot to plug in the GPU when testing it, and it told me to restart after plugging in the power cord for it. But it had no effect on my problem while booting.

The best I can come to in terms of some conclusion is that it has to be a motherboard or CPU problem, with the motherboard being the likelier of the two. Unfortunately I don’t have an alternate compatible mobo or CPU on hand to switch out or test at the moment. Note that I have never overclocked the CPU and it’s always been at a low to normal temperature; I have never put it at any kind of serious risk of damage, although it is getting a bit old.

I want to know I’ll be getting the right thing before I order a replacement part. I have had a lot of trouble finding a problem similar to this online, so I’m wondering if anybody has had a similar problem or if someone knows what’s up. Thank you! Leaving PC specs down here.

Mobo: ASUS Z97-Pro (refurbished from Newegg ~1 yr ago)
CPU: i7-4790S (LGA 1150, about 6 yrs old)
GPU: NVidia GTX 1060 3GB (1 yr old from Newegg)
PSU: Corsair CX 750M (6 mo. old from Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung 650 EVO 1 Tb (3 mo. old from Newegg)
RAM: G.Skill RipJawsX Series 16GB 2x8 240 Pin DDR3 (~3 mo. old from Newegg)