Question Pc will not post with SSD that has OS installed

javaraffe

Commendable
Jul 23, 2020
so my PC that is running a M.2 SSD 250Gb that mostly hast just my OS and some personal files on it will not allow my pc to enter post with it installed this happened after i tried to install a new drive with an OS on it as well (old macbook SSD) the pc would read the drive but i was trying to get the drive to boot attempted that a few times ad gave up when i tried to go back to boot my normal drive i got the frist time an error that windows could not start so i restarted the pc because surely that was a mistake the drive was just working no issue five minutes prior but since then with the drive installed the pc will not post it will try to post then get stuck in a Dram check power off start again get stuck in DRAM check then after about 4-5 times it stays powered on but no display or anything just a Dram check light i've checked each stick of ram on its own they all work and will read in bios with out the drive no issue even tried reseating the m.2 stick and help would be appreciated the only things i actually care about on the drive are photos from when my child was a baby and pictures of my wife as long as i can recover those i dont mine reformatting the drive but would clearly prefer not to if i do not have to

again any help is appreciated thank you in advance

sorry for poor grammar and punctuation

so my PC that is running a M.2 SSD 250Gb that mostly hast just my OS and some personal files on it will not allow my pc to enter post with it installed this happened after i tried to install a new drive with an OS on it as well (old macbook SSD) the pc would read the drive but i was trying to get the drive to boot attempted that a few times ad gave up when i tried to go back to boot my normal drive i got the frist time an error that windows could not start so i restarted the pc because surely that was a mistake the drive was just working no issue five minutes prior but since then with the drive installed the pc will not post it will try to post then get stuck in a Dram check power off start again get stuck in DRAM check then after about 4-5 times it stays powered on but no display or anything just a Dram check light i've checked each stick of ram on its own they all work and will read in bios with out the drive no issue even tried reseating the m.2 stick and help would be appreciated the only things i actually care about on the drive are photos from when my child was a baby and pictures of my wife as long as i can recover those i dont mine reformatting the drive but would clearly prefer not to if i do not have to

again any help is appreciated thank you in advance

sorry for poor grammar and punctuation
Full systems specs please would love to help

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
Check if the drive is in the right mode in the bios. It should be AHCI, not RAID or IDE .

Also make sure your CMOS battery isn't flat. Else your computer will go back to default settings once you restart it and that might be inappropriate.

I had a similar problem after a bios update a couple of days ago. All drives were set to IDE suddenly. I couldn't get it to boot. Then I went into the bios and changed the setting to AHCI and everything worked just as before.

Hope this helps.
Further info would be good. Maybe include some photos of the BIOS

Last edited: