[SOLVED] PC will not power on after crackling noise ?

eL3ctro

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2015
I’ve had my pc for 3 years with several upgrades I have an;

Intel Core i9 10850K ————1 Year Old
32GB DDR4 3 Year ———— 3 Year Old
Gigabyte RTX 2080 ———— 3 Year Old
MSI B460m Motor WiFi ———— 1 Year Old
MSI Motor AIO 240mm ———— 6 Months
Corsair RM 650 ———— 6 Years Old

I was playing Call of Duty Cold War when I heard a sizzling cracklings popping sound my game was running fine but I quickly cut electricity as it sounded like electric jumping. After this I checked all plugs and power to the pc nothing wrong however sadly it didn’t power on at all.

Additional information For the past 2 weeks there’s been a popping sound every time I mains power to the pc.

I’m waiting for a new psu to arrive but not certain this is the problem however as I cut power when everything was running okay will other hardware be damaged?

Solution
Wow! 6 Years on your PSU is really good. That's likely your source of the crackling noise as it was likely on its way out. It sounds like you may have caught it in time but there is still the possibility of other damage but most newer power supplies are good about preventing that with overvolting support, etc.
Wow! 6 Years on your PSU is really good. That's likely your source of the crackling noise as it was likely on its way out. It sounds like you may have caught it in time but there is still the possibility of other damage but most newer power supplies are good about preventing that with overvolting support, etc.

Solution