[SOLVED] PC will not power up if no Lan connection

Oct 9, 2022
If no Lan connection - then pressing power button results in multiple 'attempts' to power on (leds pulse, fans spin briefly). does not even reach the BIOS logo.

also, if lan cable unplugged (even at the router end) windows 10 immediately DIES as if power cable has been unplugged. (same happens if network adapter driver uninstalled).

Mobo cmos cleared did not help. Optimised defaults loaded did not help. re-flashing with latest bios image did not help.

Any help appreciated.

mobo: asus b150m-a/m2 (latest bios 3806)
router: asus RT-AC56U

Solution
OCZ GXS 700 (about 8 yo)
That shouldn't be anywhere near your computer. Replace with a reliably built unit(borrowed from a friend or neighbor with at least 550W of power at the system's disposal) and see if the issue persists.

I could try temp swapping with 2nd PC's PSU
If it's another unit that's more than 5 years old that's been taxed, don't bother. A used PSU will not output the same power as it would when brand new.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Seems to me like your PSU might be at fault or you're having a grounding issue(with regards to your houses wiring). Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

Oct 9, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Seems to me like your PSU might be at fault or you're having a grounding issue(with regards to your houses wiring). Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
Motherboard: asus b150m-a/m2 (latest bios 3806)
Ram: 2x 16gb corsairs
SSD/HDD: 3x 480gb SSD, 1x 1800gb HDD
GPU: NV gtx 1660 super
PSU: OCZ GXS 700 (about 8 yo)
Chassis: no friggin idea ( hyperx 'aerocool')
Monitor: samsung s19c200 - Dell P1911
Soundcard: SB Z series
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

Thanks for the welcome Lutfij :) and the swift reply.
I did try unplugging the DVD, one SSD and the soundcard in case the power draw might be causing the issue, but that didn't help either.

If it sounds like the PSU I could try temp swapping with 2nd PC's PSU...

Lutfij

Titan
OCZ GXS 700 (about 8 yo)
That shouldn't be anywhere near your computer. Replace with a reliably built unit(borrowed from a friend or neighbor with at least 550W of power at the system's disposal) and see if the issue persists.

If it's another unit that's more than 5 years old that's been taxed, don't bother. A used PSU will not output the same power as it would when brand new.

Solution
Oct 9, 2022
OCZ GXS 700 (about 8 yo)

oh... LoL - I thought that WASa good one, or is it just cos it's old?
OK. I'll invest in a new one. I was prepared to spend to fix this, I just wasn't sure if it was the mobo or power. The disconnecting of the Lan cable at the router side causing the PC to drop just didn't seem to fit with a PSU issue. Thanks for clarifying XD