[SOLVED] Pc will not run at xmp profile

Feb 2, 2021
I recently installed my new 4400mhz aorus ram 2x8,when I turned on xmp and tried to boot pc it would boot on and off 3 times than finally boot properly but ram would run at base speeds, is this a cpu problem? If so does cpu need to be over clocked?
Specs:
CPU- ryzen 5 3600 (soon to be ryzen 7 5800x)
Motherboard- b550m aorus pro

Solution
I recently installed my new 4400mhz aorus ram 2x8,when I turned on xmp and tried to boot pc it would boot on and off 3 times than finally boot properly but ram would run at base speeds, is this a cpu problem? If so does cpu need to be over clocked?
Specs:

Here is the official Memory QVL testing for that motherboard with a Ryzen 3000 series cpu. The first line looks to be the kit you are referring to (do double check the full part number though as lots of variations of memory kits out there) - and according to this a 2 x 8gb 4400 kit should work at rated speed...
Specs:

Here is the official Memory QVL testing for that motherboard with a Ryzen 3000 series cpu. The first line looks to be the kit you are referring to (do double check the full part number though as lots of variations of memory kits out there) - and according to this a 2 x 8gb 4400 kit should work at rated speed:
This table is handy as it provides the full tested settings, including dram voltage and exact timings. Whilst XMP should load all the correct settings it's worth checking what values are being set (double check the memory voltage as well, as I have found on some motherboards this has to be set separately from XMP).

One side note - 4400 mhz memory isn't that optimal for Ryzen as the chips internal infinity fabric clock can't go that high (referred to a FCLK in bios). If you run memory faster than this then the cpu uses a divider to compensate meaning that latency gets worse than running memory and the fabric 1:1 so typically in games you may loose a bit of performance (note the higher memory frequency does provide more peak memory throughput despite this so it can still be a benefit in productivity software). On Ryzen 3000 (and 5000 as they essentially use the same memory controller) the max ram speed you can run 1:1 is ~ 3733 or 3800 (depending on silicone lottery). That is why many people just go with a 3600 kit with tight timings as that should always work 1:1 and will give very low latency (optimal for high fps in games).

Last edited:
Solution