Question PC will not show BIOS ?

Jun 19, 2022
PC that I've had for a while was working without issues until today. I left the PC on overnight and I noticed the case fans were spinning faster but I couldn't access system. All CPU and case fans are spinning, GPU fans working, RGB working but BIOS does not load.

Here are the things I have tried to get the system working again:
  • Tested both RAM sticks individually in different slots
  • Cleared CMOS by shorting jumper and by removing/replacing battery
  • Tried HDMI and DisplayPort cable into mobo integrated graphics
  • Tried two different monitors using different DisplayPort cables
  • Disconnected everything but the CPU, cooler and RAM
  • Unseated and reinstalled GPU
  • Checked all CPU and mobo power connections
  • Disconnected all hard drives except m.2 drive (windows install)
  • Q-LED's do not show
Asus ROG-Strix Z390-E Gaming Mobo
Intel 9700K 1151 socket
16 GB Corsair RAM (2 8GB sticks)
Asus 3080 TUF GPU 10 GB
EVGA Supernova 750W Gold PSU

I wish I could reset or update the BIOS but the mobo does not have a flashback button so I am unsure how to perform a reset. Any other advice or things to try? Seems odd that the mobo would just give out. Truly at a loss at what to do at this point.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2022
I’m confident you’re also saying you cannot boot into windows, which does not mean your mobo is dead, especially since your components aren’t working. It also sounds like a processor or windows image/boot drive issue. That said, please excuse me if someone has suggested this…

Before swapping out the hard drive and reinstalling windows from flash drive….

I would make sure you’ve tried every key/symbol combo used to access bios thats specific to your mobo. Go online and look at manufacturer site to try different combos. You may have “fast boot” configured, which means you have to overzealously repeatedly press (delete) and F10 the absolutely second you turn the system on… Sometimes windows boots up so fast i end up pressing F10 too late and literally have to press (delete) or F10 repreatedly at the same time as i turn the system on…

I’m pretty sure u can enter BIOS without a hard drive installed, so I would try disconnecting everything including the boot drive and see what happens when you try to enter bios. If that doesnt work, reinstall a new hard drive temporarily to see if its maybe a boot drive or windows issue… once u figure out what the issue is, obviously reinstall original drive if it functions properly.

Start from the ground up and take your time!

Jun 19, 2022
I’m confident you’re also saying you cannot boot into windows, which does not mean your mobo is dead, especially since your components aren’t working. It also sounds like a processor or windows image/boot drive issue. That said, please excuse me if someone has suggested this…

Before swapping out the hard drive and reinstalling windows from flash drive….

I would make sure you’ve tried every key/symbol combo used to access bios thats specific to your mobo. Go online and look at manufacturer site to try different combos. You may have “fast boot” configured, which means you have to overzealously repeatedly press (delete) and F10 the absolutely second you turn the system on… Sometimes windows boots up so fast i end up pressing F10 too late and literally have to press (delete) or F10 repreatedly at the same time as i turn the system on…

I’m pretty sure u can enter BIOS without a hard drive installed, so I would try disconnecting everything including the boot drive and see what happens when you try to enter bios. If that doesnt work, reinstall a new hard drive temporarily to see if its maybe a boot drive or windows issue… once u figure out what the issue is, obviously reinstall original drive if it functions properly.

Start from the ground up and take your time!
Took out the boot drive (m.2) and still the same result. Can't even get to the bios. Tried all different key combinations for my mobo but still no luck.

Any other thoughts? I don't have another m.2 drive and plugging in my other drives (SSD) provides the same result.

Jun 19, 2022
If this system was working at some point you either have the motherboard or CPU model wrong as the 9700k will not work in a Z490 board as they are different sockets.
Edited original thread as I forgot the components initially.
Asus ROG-Strix Z390-E Gaming Mobo
Intel 9700K 1151 socket

Jun 19, 2022
Have tried everything I can think of. Tried to boot with and without CSMOS battery after reset, tried using both HDMI and DisplayPort igpu, unplugged every drive, no peripherals, GPU, etc., checked all power cables into mobo and tried various sticks of RAM.

Could the mobo be fried? I know I recently updated Windows so could that have anything to do with it?