crazymarc

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
MSI B85-G41
Intel 4770k
Gtx 970 ftw
4x4 gskill ram
EVGA 600w

I recently had to replace my mobo from an asus Z97-A to my current MSI B85-G41 because of some kind of short or malfunction. My Pc wasn’t getting to post and I changed the PSU first and no change so I bought the mobo and everything works fine...EXCEPT it will not shut down all the way. Whenever I shutdown or restart from windows it goes to the shutdown screen and the display cuts off but all of the fans and LEDs are still on. Then like 5-8 minutes later it either turns off or reboots itself.

I have looked up and tried a couple different fixes including disabling the intel MEI driver, making sure my power settings weren’t set to some kind of sleep mode in windows, and checking my bios for a deep sleep mode (which I cannot find a setting for, so I assume it doesn’t have it). I am at a total loss and have no idea why this is happening. If anyone has any knowledge about this kind of thing please help!

MSI B85-G41
Intel 4770k
Gtx 970 ftw
4x4 gskill ram
EVGA 600w

I recently had to replace my mobo from an asus Z97-A to my current MSI B85-G41 because of some kind of short or malfunction. My Pc wasn’t getting to post and I changed the PSU first and no change so I bought the mobo and everything works fine...EXCEPT it will not shut down all the way. Whenever I shutdown or restart from windows it goes to the shutdown screen and the display cuts off but all of the fans and LEDs are still on. Then like 5-8 minutes later it either turns off or reboots itself.

I have looked up and tried a couple different fixes including disabling the intel MEI driver, making sure my power settings weren’t set to some kind of sleep mode in windows, and checking my bios for a deep sleep mode (which I cannot find a setting for, so I assume it doesn’t have it). I am at a total loss and have no idea why this is happening. If anyone has any knowledge about this kind of thing please help!
Run this line and see what happens
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00

In your BIOS there should be a section pertaining to what your computer will do if it encounters a problem. If that setting is set to reboot try setting it to shutdown. After you try shutting down your computer I suspect that the computer runs into some error prompting the computer to reboot.

Also, are you running Win10? If so did you upgrade to Win10 from Win7?

crazymarc

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
In your BIOS there should be a section pertaining to what your computer will do if it encounters a problem. If that setting is set to reboot try setting it to shutdown. After you try shutting down your computer I suspect that the computer runs into some error prompting the computer to reboot.

Also, are you running Win10? If so did you upgrade to Win10 from Win7?
Yes. I upgrade from vista to 7 to 10.

Yes. I upgrade from vista to 7 to 10.
Do this:

1. Open Start.

2. Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.

3. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
SFC /scannow

4. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

5. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

6. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

7. If step 3 failed but steps 4-6 found corruption and fixed it repeat step 3 again.

Report back when this finishes (5-10 min). This fixes some corruption issues from Windows OS upgrades if there is any.

crazymarc

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Do this:

1. Open Start.

2. Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.

3. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
SFC /scannow

4. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

5. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

6. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

7. If step 3 failed but steps 4-6 found corruption and fixed it repeat step 3 again.

Report back when this finishes (5-10 min). This fixes some corruption issues from Windows OS upgrades if there is any.
I got error 87 the online/cleanup-image/checkhealth option is unknown. I got this error code for step 5 and 6 as well. Step 3 found corrupt files but was unable to fix them.

crazymarc

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Try to run it again, sometimes it has issues.
Ok so I ran step 3 and then 4-6 today (I didn’t realize there was a space between the backslashes) and then re-ran step 3 and it says windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. So if it shuts down correctly after I log off for the night I will let you know!

crazymarc

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Two things; 1) did you reinstall windows or just use the same install with the new motherboard? It is not unusual for a PC to have such issues when you use the same hdd install after a major component change (you may have to reinstall Windows 10). You also might want to try disabling fast startup. https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/213195423-How-To-Disable-Fast-Startup-in-Windows-10
I didn’t reinstall so maybe that is it. I have already disabled fast start up. Not sure if I will reinstall or not.