[SOLVED] PC will not turn on

Oct 12, 2019
Hello,
I last made a forum post regarding my pc not booting at all and I took the mobo to be the problem. However after buying a new board, installing cpu, cooler, ram, gpu and connecting psu power cables, I attempted to jump the front pannel power pins and the board sparked and smoke started to rise off it. I then quickly switched off and unplugged my psu which I now assume was the problem. I tried the paperclip test and there was a clicking noise from the psu which sounded like a bearing of some sort was failing? Anyways do you think my new mobo is now fried so i might aswell sell off what parts i have left and buy a new system? Or just buy a new psu? Thanks

Specs:
Intel Core i7-4770
16gb ddr3 ram
Asus b85m-g motherboard
gtx 1060 3gb
500w psu that came with the system although it is an 80+ gold psu.

Aeacus

Illustrious
Herald
If you saw smoke from MoBo then it's safe to assume that it's also dead.

Btw, PSU's efficiency rating has nothing to do with PSU's build quality and if the PSU is safe to use. Without PSU's make and model (or part number), i can't tell if the PSU itself is bad (low build quality) or it died of old age.

Here, i'd cut my losses and go with new, up-to-the-date PC. You can reuse your GPU and storage drives, IF they survived the fireworks.

Aeacus

Illustrious
Herald

Btw, PSU's efficiency rating has nothing to do with PSU's build quality and if the PSU is safe to use. Without PSU's make and model (or part number), i can't tell if the PSU itself is bad (low build quality) or it died of old age.

Here, i'd cut my losses and go with new, up-to-the-date PC. You can reuse your GPU and storage drives, IF they survived the fireworks.

Oct 12, 2019

Yeah I’m gonna take your advice and just stop while I’m ahead.... probably gonna be back sometime in the near future for build recommendations :D Thanks for your help

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS