[SOLVED] Pc will only boot if i take out my m.2 ssd (solved)

Dec 4, 2020
So i bought a pc of a buddy of mine, changed the motherboard and gpu but kept the hdd and the old type ssd (non m.2) it works fine but its running low on space so i recently bought an m.2 ssd and installed it. problem is that it wont boot with the new ssd installed (boots fine without it) windows 10 is installed on the older ssd but it wont show up in the BIOS boot order while the new one is connected. anyone know how to get this to work ? does it have anything to do with the SATA cables ? (my pc building skills are usually just mess around til it works hahah) ideally i just want to keep it as it was and use the new m.2 ssd for storage

the motherboard is an: ROG STRIX b450-f
the m.2 ssd is a: Corsair force series mp510

Solution
@USAFRet honestly m8 im a total idiot when it comes to this stuff im like a monkey with a hammer banging on things til it works. major respect to you guys what exactly does 4 When the M.2_2 is occupied by M.2 device, PCIe x16_1 will run at x8 mode. mean hahah ?
It reduces the PCIe lanes available in the PCIe slot from 16 to 8.
That slot is normally where the GPU will go.

Now....reducing from 16 to 8 will not have a real effect on GPU performance. But it is a thing.
Personally, I'd put the M.2 drive back in the other port (M.2_1), and move the SATA devices to ports other than 5 and 6.

USAFRet

Titan
Often, one or more SATA ports are disabled when using a drive in the M.2 port.

"When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA or PCIE mode, SATA6G_5/6 ports will be disabled. "

Move the existing SATA devices to other ports.

Dec 4, 2020
thanks @rgd1101 ok so i changed the socket to the other one the one lower from the cpu and it works ! @USAFRet im pretty sure your onto something though i would probably have to do this if i was going to install an additional m.2 ssd in the second socket

USAFRet

Titan
thanks @rgd1101 ok so i changed the socket to the other one the one lower from the cpu and it works ! @USAFRet im pretty sure your onto something though i would probably have to do this if i was going to install an additional m.2 ssd in the second socket
Did you read the spec sheet, and Note 3 & 4?

*3 When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA or PCIE mode, SATA6G_5/6 ports will be disabled.
*4 When the M.2_2 is occupied by M.2 device, PCIe x16_1 will run at x8 mode.

Dec 4, 2020
@USAFRet honestly m8 im a total idiot when it comes to this stuff im like a monkey with a hammer banging on things til it works. major respect to you guys what exactly does 4 When the M.2_2 is occupied by M.2 device, PCIe x16_1 will run at x8 mode. mean hahah ?

USAFRet

Titan
It reduces the PCIe lanes available in the PCIe slot from 16 to 8.
That slot is normally where the GPU will go.

Now....reducing from 16 to 8 will not have a real effect on GPU performance. But it is a thing.
Personally, I'd put the M.2 drive back in the other port (M.2_1), and move the SATA devices to ports other than 5 and 6.

Reactions: crispifier
Solution