Question PC Will only boot in Dual channel.

lskidson

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017
Hey guys! So recently I have been having a few problems with my PC and decided to double check my memory to make sure everything is running as expected. My specs are listed below:

i5 7500
MSI B250M PRO-VD
G. SKill 2400MHz 16gb DDR4 (F4-2400C15D-16GVR)
Thermaltake Toughpower 650W PSU

My motherboard only has two RAM slots one for each stick. The weird thing I noticed is when I tried to boot the sticks individually, initially one stick worked (booted to desktop) I tried the other stick and it would not boot to BIOS (PC only would receive power for a second). When I swapped the sticks again to the first stick the first stick then started doing the same thing (failing to boot). My PC now only boots to desktop if it has both memory modules installed in any order. Is this normal behavouir? Should I clear CMOS everytime I change my RAM configuration?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

lskidson

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017
Definitely not normal.. do you have the latest BIOS?

What happens after it boots to desktop? Is it unstable?

I have the latest BIOS and when I boots to desktop, everything seems relatively normal. When It did boot the one time with a single stick things seemed a bit slower but that makes sense because I only had half the RAM. The reason I decided to check the sticks is because I seem to be having some stuttering problems while gaming with an i5 7500 and a GTX 1080.

I also ran the windows memory diagnostic tool with both sticks in and no errors were reported. I confirmed everything was running normally using user bench and 3D Mark.

TRENDING THREADS