Question PC will only boot into bios but will get a BSOD/ will freeze/ go into a boot loop if i try to boot from anything else

Dec 31, 2019
Hi! I built a PC a while ago and it worked perfectly fine until some days ago. I was playing Jurassic World: Evolution, then the game crashed which also made my PC crash. I restarted, got a BSOD then automatic windows repair set it straight and it worked fine again. After i started the game again it crashed again( the PC too). After that, the PC won't boot in windows. It will either get a BSOD/ it will freeze / go into a boot loop. It won't even boot from a USB. I tried updating the bios, with multiple versions, which didn't help. I checked for a bent pin on the mainboard but everything was ok. I unplugged the hdd, ssd (even did a secure erase on it afterwards) but nothing helped. I also tried booting with one ram stick to see if the sticks were defect but everything stayed the same. I even removed the GPU although i wouldn't think that it would change something. (It didn't) Now i really don't know what to do. Maybe my CPU or Mainboard are fried or anything else? Booting in Bios works and everything gets detected. Clearing the cmos didn't help either. What should I do?

I'm sorry for the long text and thank you in advance!

Specs:

CPU: I5 9600K (never overclocked) (cooled with an AIO)
Mainboard: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2070 Advanced
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport lt 3200 Mhz (2x 8GB Sticks)
PSU: Corsair TX750M
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus
HDD: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB

Last edited:

H0PEFU11Y

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
Two possibilities from my (pretty basic) knowledge:
  • Motherboard malfunctioning
  • SSD/ HDD dying on you

Hopefully it's the latter, which I do think it is. I would try another SSD/ HDD and putting Windows on that and seeing if that works. Also maybe download a fresh copy of Windows vs use the one you already have downloaded onto the USB stick (or whatever you use for the Windows 10 Media) as it may be corrupted.

It would be helpful if you gave the description of what the BSOD says as this will help diagnose it more accurately.

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
Hi! I built a PC a while ago and it worked perfectly fine until some days ago. I was playing Jurassic World: Evolution, then the game crashed which also made my PC crash. I restarted, got a BSOD then automatic windows repair set it straight and it worked fine again. After i started the game again it crashed again( the PC too). After that, the PC won't boot in windows. It will either get a BSOD/ it will freeze / go into a boot loop. It won't even boot from a USB. I tried updating the bios, with multiple versions, which didn't help. I checked for a bent pin on the mainboard but everything was ok. I unplugged the hdd, ssd (even did a secure erase on it afterwards) but nothing helped. I also tried booting with one ram stick to see if the sticks were defect but everything stayed the same. I even removed the GPU although i wouldn't think that it would change something. (It didn't) Now i really don't know what to do. Maybe my CPU or Mainboard are fried or anything else? Booting in Bios works and everything gets detected. Clearing the cmos didn't help either. What should I do?

I'm sorry for the long text and thank you in advance!

Specs:

CPU: I5 9600K (never overclocked) (cooled with an AIO)
Mainboard: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2070 Advanced
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport lt 3200 Mhz (2x 8GB Sticks)
PSU: Corsair TX750M
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus
HDD: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB
This happened to me and I thankfully escaped that nightmare, What I suggest you do is run a system check to see if your HDD/SDD is dying or perhaps some other component. After this try restarting the system. If that doesn't work then try to boot via safe mode. The issue is that whenever you get a BSOD like this there is a small error message in the far right of it, such as SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and next to it, whatever that message is, in case of rtwlanu I tried Using the Windows 10 media disk or you can use anyother drive that can boot Windows and then use its repair function. You can also go to Command prompt from after the BSOD happens, via advanced options and try exceuting the command sfc /scannow. If its nviddmkm.sys error then you can likely safe boot into windows, and try updating any drivers related to Nvidia from there (geforce exp, gpu, sound etc). Its most likely a corrupt driver either way and would recommend using windows repair. However possibillity of a failing SSD is very high here
Aside from this you can try installing another OS such as windows 7 alongside this OS to check if its the motherboard/HDD is actually the issue and delete the OS afterwards.

Reactions: Andrei Tasala
Dec 31, 2019
Quick update: i was able to install ubuntu successfully. Everything worked fine..did a memtest on the ram and no errors occured. Afterward i tried to install windows from a usb and nothing changed. Still the freeze on boot from usb. Ubuntu still works (sometimes some programms crash like firefox) but nothing else. Could it be a faulty CPU?

TRENDING THREADS