Question PC will only power if I unplug the GPU

KantaSlaus

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
I was playing yesterday when suddenly it shut down and I couldn't get it to power back up.

Specs:
Gtx 970
Ryzen 2600
MSI b450

What I've tried:

- I did the paper clip test on my psu and all the fans booted fine

- Disassembled and put everything back in place, checking the connections

It simply won't power. If I turn the psu off and press the power button to take all the power away, next time I power the GPU fan and Mobo light will start for a split second.

At last I tried to turn it unplugging the GPU from the PSU, and the thing actually powered up "normally".

So I'm split whether it might be that the PSU doesn't have enough power to hold the whole thing together, but it doesn't make sense. I have this PSU for 4 years now, bought it together with the graphics card.
Or if the GPU just died on me. I have seen very similar threads around but they don't have a solution

KantaSlaus

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
You might want to check what supply you have considering it might still be in warranty.

BQ, B3= 5-year limited warranty
B1= 3-year limited warranty

Plug a speaker into the motherboard and listen to the beep codes.
  1. Bad GPU it should beep,
  2. PSU not strong enough to power the GPU it usually won't beep.

KantaSlaus

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
You might want to check what supply you have considering it might still be in warranty.

BQ, B3= 5-year limited warranty
B1= 3-year limited warranty

Plug a speaker into the motherboard and listen to the beep codes.
  1. Bad GPU it should beep,
  2. PSU not strong enough to power the GPU it usually won't beep.
Thanks for the heads-up about the warranty but I'm positive it's been longer than that already. I have a speaker on the Mobo and it won't beep with the GPU on, it might go as far as to light up for a second and then nothing.

KantaSlaus

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Yeah the EVGA B1 series is not the best. They sell cheap 10-20 dollar PSU testers on Newegg and Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Power-Su...ds=psu+tester&qid=1563134728&s=gateway&sr=8-4 ) which you can check your PSU with, or know how to use a multi-meter use one to test the PSU (Again only if you know what you are doing).
I ran a test with the multimeter. Although all the voltages were coming out ok, after a few minutes they would go to zero and stay there. This repeated itself more than once.
I guess we found who's to blame