Question PC will post, get into BIOS, but won't boot any OS or USB stick ?

May 27, 2022
Hello, this is my first post after 15 years as an IT cause frankly I'm losing my mind.

So, I have a personal build with the following specs:
MB : MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS
CPU: AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12 CORE PROCESSOR
RAM: DDR4 PATRIOT 3200 C16 SERIES X2 IN DUAL CHANNEL CONFIG
PSU: CORSAIR TX650 GOLD
STORAGE: M.2 VPN 100 1TB
GPU: SAPPHIRE RX 5700

So, my PC crashed one day while I had it running a game (just to say everything was under load) and I was running behind my 3y old (cause 3 year olds)
The PC restarted by it self and I got my first stop error message since I've build it.

Since then I did everything in my experience to resolve it but nothing will work.

My PC will post just fine, will go into bios where I can see all of my components (storage,ram,CPU) but every time I'm trying to boot windows will get a trying to automatic repair then stop error and reboot.
It will even do that if I try to boot from a USB stick . Like if I try to run an installation.

I've checked my ram sticks one by one, replaced my GPU , started without GPU, without my storage and since everything seemed to be working and I had no explaination I even went ahead and purchased a brand new Mobo. ( My old was a GIGABYTE X570 GAMING PLUS)

well turned out I've burned that money and it made no difference with the new Mobo.

So Mobo ,ram and storage problems are out of the equation. The two remaining things that I cannot check is the PSU and the CPU .

Again... Pc posts and goes into bios and it doesn't matter if I leave it there for a day. It will stay on. CPU temps show 37 celcius ,got a decent CPU air-cooler with new thermal paste (as I've changed Mobo)

Long story short, I've never seen a CPU that "kinda works" and ofcourse the last thing I want to go bad is my CPU (my most expensive part) but I have no other way to check that since I do not have a spare CPU laying around.
I have somehow to make sure that is the problem before getting a new one cause imagine getting a new expensive CPU just to realize that was not the problem. I did that gambling already with my Mobo and lost.

The other thing that remains to be checked is my PSU (since PC did crashed it sounds logical)
But since I've never faced a similar problem it like your thoughts cause I cannot really think of anything else and it drives me nuts.

Thank you

Hello, this is my first post after 15 years as an IT cause frankly I'm losing my mind.

So, I have a personal build with the following specs:
MB : MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS
CPU: AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12 CORE PROCESSOR
RAM: DDR4 PATRIOT 3200 C16 SERIES X2 IN DUAL CHANNEL CONFIG
PSU: CORSAIR TX650 GOLD
STORAGE: M.2 VPN 100 1TB
GPU: SAPPHIRE RX 5700

So, my PC crushed one day while I had it running a game (just to say everything was under load) and I was running behind my 3y old (cause 3 year olds)
The PC restarted by it self and I got my first stop error message since I've build it.

Since then I did everything in my experience to resolve it but nothing will work.

My PC will post just fine, will go into bios where I can see all of my components (storage,ram,CPU) but every time I'm trying to boot windows will get a trying to automatic repair then stop error and reboot.
It will even do that if I try to boot from a USB stick . Like if I try to run an installation.

I've checked my ram sticks one by one, replaced my GPU , started without GPU, without my storage and since everything seemed to be working and I had no explaination I even went ahead and purchased a brand new Mobo. ( My old was a GIGABYTE X570 GAMING PLUS)

well turned out I've burned that money and it made no difference with the new Mobo.

So Mobo ,ram and storage problems are out of the equation. The two remaining things that I cannot check is the PSU and the CPU .

Again... Pc posts and goes into bios and it doesn't matter if I leave it there for a day. It will stay on. CPU temps show 37 celcius ,got a decent CPU air-cooler with new thermal paste (as I've changed Mobo)

Long story short, I've never seen a CPU that "kinda works" and ofcourse the last thing I want to go bad is my CPU (my most expensive part) but I have no other way to check that since I do not have a spare CPU laying around.
I have somehow to make sure that is the problem before getting a new one cause imagine getting a new expensive CPU just to realize that was not the problem. I did that gambling already with my Mobo and lost.

The other thing that remains to be checked is my PSU (since PC did crashed it sounds logical)
But since I've never faced a similar problem it like your thoughts cause I cannot really think of anything else and it drives me nuts.

Thank you
If using xmp/docp turn it off.....test.
Test with one stick of ram in the proper slot.....see the manual.
If no help try the other stick.
Can you boot a copy of memtest86 from a flash stick?

May 27, 2022
What did the error message say?
It is not the same every time I get it.
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT HANDLED
then
MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
sometimes
BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO
The weirdest part is I cannot even load a USB OS or run installation , go into safe mode etc

Will try and see if I can switch PSU from my older rig cause my god tells me that my fears if the world's first partially dead CPU are real... 😭

May 27, 2022
If using xmp/docp turn it off.....test.
Test with one stick of ram in the proper slot.....see the manual.
If no help try the other stick.
Can you boot a copy of memtest86 from a flash stick?
As I said it is a brand new Mobo so no xmp or any short of modification on it.
I've checked both ram sticks with memtest and they are indeed in the Right slots, checked one by one.

I've also changed PSU from an older working rig and made no difference.

Everything points to the CPU unfortunately...

As I said it is a brand new Mobo so no xmp or any short of modification on it.
I've checked both ram sticks with memtest and they are indeed in the Right slots, checked one by one.

I've also changed PSU from an older working rig and made no difference.

Everything points to the CPU unfortunately...
All you can do is find out what it's not until you narrow it down as much as possible and then you start changing the stuff that's left.

Reactions: Minotavros
May 27, 2022
I'll download hirens and try this also.
According to memtest everything is amazing lol.

Fun fact: I'm the IT of a company with 100+ PC's
All of them are Intel based builds so I cannot use the PC's in my disposal to run tests lol.

Updated bios since my last post.
So, ram seems ok (although I'll get brand new value sticks from work to test and make sure) , PSU seems ok, GPU seems ok, storage seems ok, Mobo is brand new (and does the same with old so I did not had to change it)
That said CPU seems ok also but everything started after a crash so... God I wish I had a spare CPU to get this out of the way.

All of them are Intel based builds so I cannot use the PC's in my disposal to run tests lol.

So, ram seems ok (although I'll get brand new value sticks from work to test and make sure) , PSU seems ok, GPU seems ok, storage seems ok, Mobo is brand new (and does the same with old so I did not had to change it)
That said CPU seems ok also but everything started after a crash so... God I wish I had a spare CPU to get this out of the way.
Have you tried thinking outside the Windows box? Try disconnecting all of your drives and booting from a usb containing a linux live distro. If successful make sure all your hardware works normally and then try reconnecting 1 drive to see if you can access it with the file manager and rescue any essential files and copy them off the disk. After that you can delete all of the existing partitions on the drive so that all of the space is unallocated and reinstall Windows.

So memtest boots and runs.
Where did this flash stick with windows on it come from?
Does this flash stick boot on another machine?

May 27, 2022
So memtest boots and runs.
Where did this flash stick with windows on it come from?
Does this flash stick boot on another machine?
Yes exactly, mem test boots and runs, I had it run for two and a half hours without any errors.
The USB with the windows on it came from the official Microsoft site and I used different ways to make it and retried to run it.
I've used the Microsoft media creation tool, rufus( with security option off and on) , hirens USB creator

Tried with windows 11 iso and with windows 10. And checked the USB sticks with the older rig and every time it was running

I'm at work now, but right before I've left home I've tried to run hirens bootcp and it did not run.

I'm starting to think that when the CPU tries to pull more watts to start a proper OS , the whole thing happens...I did tried another PSU but it was less watts that the one in the rig so I'm still not 100% sure...

May 27, 2022
Have you tried thinking outside the Windows box? Try disconnecting all of your drives and booting from a usb containing a linux live distro. If successful make sure all your hardware works normally and then try reconnecting 1 drive to see if you can access it with the file manager and rescue any essential files and copy them off the disk. After that you can delete all of the existing partitions on the drive so that all of the space is unallocated and reinstall Windows.
Haven't tried a Linux yet but I will. Honestly since it did not ran hirens tool I do not think it will but I will keep you posted!

Aug 11, 2023
Hi! I'm running into very similar problems. Were you able to find a solution? I've narrowed it down to either PSU, Motherboard or CPU. Can get into Bios, Memtest86+ (boot from USB) is fine, but can't load windows from the M.2 nor USB. On the off chance after 10 tries it loads into the first screen of a windows installer, keyboard/mouse locks up after couple key entries. I have a new PSU arriving tomorrow, hoping that will help.

Msv2001

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2014
Haven't tried a Linux yet but I will. Honestly since it did not ran hirens tool I do not think it will but I will keep you posted!
Hey,

Were you ever able to solve this? I am in the exact same situation. I have been dealing with computers for a while now and I have never had something like this happen to me.

I was just watching YT on my computer when it randomly shut off and tried to reboot, upon trying to reboot it shows "Preparing Automatic Repair". Since then I have not been able to get past the Windows loading circle; it appears for 1-2 seconds then the computer restarts, goes through all the check lights and fails again. I am able to boot into the BIOS.

I have tried:
  • Reseating the RAM, currently checking MEMTEST and everything is 100% so far with no errors
  • Disconnected and Reconnected PSU cable and motherboard headers
  • Reseated CPU
  • Reseated GPU
  • Reset CMOS multiple times
  • Tried a different power supply (with less wattage so I am not sure)
  • Tried booting into Media Creation Tool and even Ubuntu and I can't boot into them either.
It's all so strange because I am 99.9999% sure it is not a software issue as I can't boot into ANYTHING. I'm certain it is not the GPU, RAM, or corrupted Drives. It has to be either the PSU, CPU, or MOBO, but as you stated it is so weird to see it work in a "partial" state. Everything in the BIOS works fine, the temps are fine, and defaults are set so no XMP or DOCP are set, no overclock, and everything is just stock.

My Specs are:
  • AMD 3900X
  • ASUS B550-F
  • Aorus Master RTX 3070
  • Samsung M.2 (and 3 other SSDs)
  • EVGA Supernova 850 80+ Gold
  • Corsair Vengeance Pro 32 GB 3600 (Currently running at 2666)
  • 7 fans and a lot of RGB lmao