PC will turn on (lights, fans spinning) but won't boot (just a black screen) after crashing while gaming

Oct 31, 2018
Here are my specs

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600
motherboard: Asus - PRIME B450M
GPU: MSI - Radeon R9 380 4GB
Storage: Samsung - 256GB 2.5" SSD
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB

Monitor: 1440p

Yesterday I bought a new motherboard and CPU (the ones listed above) and installed. The PC worked fine all of this morning and afternoon, until I played a game of Dota 2 on it at maximum settings. I have had issues with this game at max settings before (due to a GPU issue I think) but thought I'd give it a go.

My PC turned off completely (instantly all lights off and monitor showing nothing) mid game and I had to turn it off at the wall to attempt to restart it. Now the PC just won't start (as I described in title). I've tried it with my 1440p monitor, and I've tried taking out the graphics card and using the onboard video with another monitor. Neither worked. Although the new CPU and Motherboard seem like they could be the issue, the fact that they were working so well earlier leads me to believe it may be the GPU (which has sometimes led to crashes, even when running older games that it should be able to run) or maybe the PSU.

Any help or advice would be great, I've tried unplugging and replugging the connections to the motherboard.

Oct 31, 2018

My PSU is: Pentium p4 model E-750BR (750w)

Thanks for the iGPU advice, I thought my new motherboard had one.
I'm going to try my old motherboard (which has built in iGPU) with my old CPU (as the new one doesn't fit the old board) and with and without my GPU.

I'll answer this thread once I have results.

Oct 31, 2018

I don't have any friends nearby with PCs that I could use to test the GPU, so I'd have to order a new PSU and hope for the best. As I'm a little unsure, I was wondering if faulty PSUs are generally able to boot with on board graphics, but dont have the power to even get to the BIOS while using the GPU. Is there any other way I could make sure the PSU is the issue, or is it very likely? Thanks

If you used the same PSU, that means the PSU can't handle the r9 380 anymore. But like you said the R9 380 may have problem too.

Also you may boot into the BIOS with the old MB with onboard iGPU, look for the PC health monitor or hardware monitor section ( because I don't know what MB you had), and try to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V, you want to see those voltages are within +/- 5%, eg. for +12V, you want to see the number will be within +11.4V to +12.6V, if one of them is not in the range, the PSU has problem.

Oct 31, 2018

I just tried the old MB again (no GPU) to look at the voltages and as usual the fans spin but this time it's refusing to boot into bios (just a black screen). I think I'll order a good brand PSU and see if that fixes things. After reading up on PSUs, even if it doesn't turn out to be the problem, I think upgrading to a more reliable PSU is a good call anyway.

Oct 31, 2018

I replaced the PSU with an EVGA G3 550, and with this it is able to boot without the GPU (on the older motherboard with an igpu), but with the graphics card in it still refuses to get past a black screen (all fans still spinning except ones on GPU). Do you think it's pretty safe to say the issue is the graphics card, and it should be replaced? (it's out of warranty)

TRENDING THREADS