Question PC Will Turn On/Off infinitely - Won't Start?

haloguy1999

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
I've got an old PC made up of semi-decent parts (nothing ancient) and I'm trying to install windows 10 on it. The parts should work perfectly, this was never a problem previously - it's a 3770k, gtx 680, functional HDD and SSD from 2013.

When I boot up the PC for the first time, it works fine yet anytime I reboot, it will power on for a second then off - this repeats seemingly forever. I found out that taking out the RAM sticks (I have 2 8gb sticks) and putting them back in will fix it, but only until I turn the PC off again. I tried 1 stick in all 4 slots, 2 sticks in various different slots (all the different combinations) etc. etc. No matter what, every time I reboot I have to pull the whole thing out and reseat the RAM to get it to start.

I'm completely lost on this, any help would be appreciated haha.

haloguy1999

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
There are something like 10 bios updates after your version. Try updating your bios and see if that helps.

Updated the bios. Downloaded the newest version onto a flash drive, went into the BIOS, told it to flash and update using the USB file. It rebooted fine without the on/off cycle and I got into windows fine. Upon restarting, it restarted fine but sent me right into the bios automatically. I noticed the boot order was changed around so I put it back to what it was before, with #1 being my SSD with windows.

Since restarting after that, it turns on, then off in like 1-2 seconds. Then on for 15 seconds, then off. At no point does my monitor get a signal, it's just a black screen.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Same battery that you should be able to get from hardware shops or even some supermarkets ,

2260_-_ikbenstil_moederbord_batterij_cr2032_3v.jpg

Reactions: haloguy1999
Hey guys, sorry for the delay in messages.

Got a new battery, swapped them, waited 10 mins etc. same exact problem as before where it turns on, off, on [.. 15 seconds ...] then off.
Pull the CPU out of the socket and place it back in. Reseating the CPU may fix the problem. Don't do it unless you have thermal paste to reapply. You may also have a faulty power supply or the motherboard has an issue. The system or motherboard may not be properly grounded. Get the computer case off of any carpet. If the room has low humidity, you are more likely to have issues with static discharge when using or being in close contact with the computer if it's on carpet.

Reactions: haloguy1999

haloguy1999

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
Pull the CPU out of the socket and place it back in. Reseating the CPU may fix the problem. Don't do it unless you have thermal paste to reapply. You may also have a faulty power supply or the motherboard has an issue. The system or motherboard may not be properly grounded. Get the computer case off of any carpet. If the room has low humidity, you are more likely to have issues with static discharge when using or being in close contact with the computer if it's on carpet.

Tried reseating the processor, put in a different power supply - didn't work. I had an old P8Z77-V laying around and it worked however, so I guess it was the motherboard? It's booting fine, thank goodness.

Thanks so much for all the help guys!!

Reactions: Vic 40

TRENDING THREADS