Question PC will turn screens off after 1-2 minutes regardless of power plan

gibbey531

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
After about 1-2 minutes of no activity my PC will go to a black blank screen. You can see that the backlight is still on, and the monitors will immediately switch back to display the desktop upon any mouse movement or key presses. I have set every setting I can think of to never turn the display off. I've changed it in the power plan settings and in the Windows display settings. I've even adjusted the screen saver settings and slide show settings to no avail. This issue has persisted with Windows 10 and now with Windows 11. I haven't been able to locate any additional settings that would cause this specifically, so I'm turning here. Are there any settings I'm overlooking that would result in the display going black, but leaving the backlight on?

Thanks for any help!

After about 1-2 minutes of no activity my PC will go to a black blank screen. You can see that the backlight is still on, and the monitors will immediately switch back to display the desktop upon any mouse movement or key presses. I have set every setting I can think of to never turn the display off. I've changed it in the power plan settings and in the Windows display settings. I've even adjusted the screen saver settings and slide show settings to no avail. This issue has persisted with Windows 10 and now with Windows 11. I haven't been able to locate any additional settings that would cause this specifically, so I'm turning here. Are there any settings I'm overlooking that would result in the display going black, but leaving the backlight on?

Thanks for any help!
Also check for power savings settings in BIOS.
Modern monitors also have power saving features which may overide those of OS.