[SOLVED] PC Windows 10 3 - 4 second freezes

Jun 26, 2019
Hi all sorry if this is not the right thread in advance.
If someone could help me figure this out would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

So I have been having this issue since December of 2018 around the same time that I updated to the latest windows 10 update (not sure if that is related to the issue at all) I have just been dealing with it and not trying to fix it. Now its really bugging me and I want to try and address it.

Now for my issue. Like the title says every so often I get an entire PC freeze for 3 - 4 seconds. I can't do anything during this time. Can't move the mouse or push any keys on the keyboard. the sound also kind of skips until its over. It happens anywhere from the computer being Idle, to just browsing the web, or even computer gaming (that last one is the worst because I usually end dying). it happens at least once every time I am on the computer. Sometimes doesn't even happen at all. so its not like its super frequent. but I can pretty much count on it happening at least once. The only thing I am able to notice in the performance tab on task manager is my HDD drive SPIKES to 100% usage during the 3 - 4 seconds. Then goes back to 0% usage. By the way this HDD drive does not have any data on it at all and is not in use while I am gaming or browsing the web. Everything is on my NVME SSD at the moment including windows installed and all my games. I did a fresh windows 10 install around may 2019 and it is still happening on the fresh 10 install.

Here are the things I have tried so far:
Fresh windows 10 install
Windows 10 virus scan and malwarebytes scan (no findings)
Updated the BIOS on mother board to 2201
Windows up to date
Updated Intel RST to latest driver
Updated samsung NVME to latest 3.1 driver
Checked through everything on the Event Viewer (no errors showing at time of freeze)

the hardware in my system:
Asus Z370-E
Intel i5-8600
Gskill z RGB 16gb (2 x 8gb) at 3000 MHz
Evga RTX 1070 graphics
EVGA 750 watt power supply
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVME running in X4 mode not X2
Seagate HDD (the one that spikes to 100% usage even though nothing is on it)

I maybe forgetting other stuff I have tried recently but if you need anymore info let me know.

Last edited:
Solution
This could also be a short on the motherboard itself. I had a similar issue with my old build in the past. Check for anything that could be potentially shorting out the motherboard.

Ok now I'm annoyed how simple it was. I figured it out finally.
So out of pure curiosity I for the last 4 - 5 days I have used the computer with the Segate HDD that is spiking unplugged and I have not gotten a single freeze. I would for sure have had one by now. I plugged the HDD back in and got a freeze within two hours. WTF! Out of all the most simple trouble shooting steps I could have done I do all the most complicated ones first lol. For these last 8 months for some reason it never occurred to me to try unplugging the HDD.

I guess I never...
Jun 26, 2019
After 2201, there's 2401. Update to that version and see if your issue is averted. Also, did you recreate the installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?

Model for your EVGA PSU? How old is it?
So my power supply is EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W
I'm not sure what "Also, did you recreate the installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?" means. if you are talking about how I reinstalled windows I completely wiped the NVME drive and started fresh like it was a brand new system. hopes thats what you were asking?
and I will try the Newer BIOS tonight when I get home from work. when I had the mother board auto search for a new BIOS it downloaded 2201 and nothing newer. everytime I do the auto search on the mother board its self it says its up to date with 2201 even though you linked a new one?

Jun 26, 2019
This could also be a short on the motherboard itself. I had a similar issue with my old build in the past. Check for anything that could be potentially shorting out the motherboard.

Ok now I'm annoyed how simple it was. I figured it out finally.
So out of pure curiosity I for the last 4 - 5 days I have used the computer with the Segate HDD that is spiking unplugged and I have not gotten a single freeze. I would for sure have had one by now. I plugged the HDD back in and got a freeze within two hours. WTF! Out of all the most simple trouble shooting steps I could have done I do all the most complicated ones first lol. For these last 8 months for some reason it never occurred to me to try unplugging the HDD.

I guess I never tried that because it doesn't make sense to me as to why a hard drive with NO DATA on it at the moment was freezing my entire computer and the SSD that has windows on it????

Not sure if it was the HDD going bad or the sata cable connecting it is bad. The connections on the cable were tight so its not like one side was loose. oh well not like I was using that drive anyway. I'll just put another M.2 in. yay :):)

Last edited:
Solution