Question PC (wired connection) having buffering/lower quality issues on youtube/netflix ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mach1threat

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
10
0
18,510
0
I think it has something to do with a port configuration on the router or through Verizon. There has to be a difference between firewall settings etc from wired to wireless.

I've gotten more laptops to test with and all are working fine on wifi. My 3 Desktops with cat 6 connections have problems. brand new cables, and ive even tried on a PCI-E Wifi card and it worked fine.
 
Jul 2, 2022
2
0
10
0
Best of luck. I gave up a while ago but it randomly started working properly again the other day and I hadn't changed anything.
I never managed to resolve mine until I purchased a VPN service. As soon I as used it, problem solved. I still want to blame Verizon
 
Sep 23, 2022
4
0
10
0
These issues are all probably from IPV6. I had the same problem a month or two ago, and it was from Verizon pushing IPV6 onto their network in my region. It's a real common issue, most of the posts on the Fios subreddit are inundated with posts like this, even the technician I talked to during that time said it was from Intel's NICs not working well with their ipv6. Just turn it off on your router, and everything will work again, or disable your checksum offloading inside your ethernet properties if you're on Windows.
 
Nov 14, 2022
1
0
10
0
I FIGURED IT OUT!!! It's due to IPV6 being enabled!
  1. Right-click your network icon.
  2. Select "Open Network & Internet settings"
  3. Select "Change adapter options"
  4. Right-click your main ethernet adapter.
  5. Select "Properties"
  6. Un-check "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)"
  7. Enjoy watching videos once again!
So, when I tried plugging a Wi-Fi adapter into my computer, I noticed the crippling performance issues on Youtube and Netflix resolved completely. Problem is, this cut my total bandwidth down from 1,000Mbps to 100Mbps... not exactly a compromise I was willing to make.

This did, however, allow me to further refine my Google scrounging! This Reddit Post held the answer I was searching for. The IPV6 option in the Ethernet adapter properties needed to be disabled.

I only wish I might have discovered this solution before I completely reset my PC and it's OS to a blank freaking slate...

Hope this works for you all as well, I'll be reinstalling everything from scratch... Good luck!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS