Question PC (wired connection) having buffering/lower quality issues on youtube/netflix ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikbar

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2014
Some more information:
This problem started after an internet outage Wednesday night (6/15/22)
I have had the same pc hardware/setup for nearly two years at this location
I have no problem watching twitch streams
I have tested my internet for speed and packet loss(there is no packet loss)
I have called Verizon and they found no problems with speed or packet loss on their end
I have a PS4 that is connected wirelessly with no issues loading content from Youtube/Netflix
I have cleared my cache on google chrome
I have the same issue when using Microsoft edge

PC Specs (if that matters)
Windows 10 Home
AMD Ryzan 7 1800X
16gb G-skill RAM
Gigabyte GTX 1080

Thanks in advance for any help, this has been incredibly frustrating as I use my pc for media consumption much more than my PS4 connected to my TV.

mach1threat

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I think it has something to do with a port configuration on the router or through Verizon. There has to be a difference between firewall settings etc from wired to wireless.

I've gotten more laptops to test with and all are working fine on wifi. My 3 Desktops with cat 6 connections have problems. brand new cables, and ive even tried on a PCI-E Wifi card and it worked fine.

Sep 23, 2022
These issues are all probably from IPV6. I had the same problem a month or two ago, and it was from Verizon pushing IPV6 onto their network in my region. It's a real common issue, most of the posts on the Fios subreddit are inundated with posts like this, even the technician I talked to during that time said it was from Intel's NICs not working well with their ipv6. Just turn it off on your router, and everything will work again, or disable your checksum offloading inside your ethernet properties if you're on Windows.

Nov 14, 2022
I FIGURED IT OUT!!! It's due to IPV6 being enabled!
  1. Right-click your network icon.
  2. Select "Open Network & Internet settings"
  3. Select "Change adapter options"
  4. Right-click your main ethernet adapter.
  5. Select "Properties"
  6. Un-check "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)"
  7. Enjoy watching videos once again!
So, when I tried plugging a Wi-Fi adapter into my computer, I noticed the crippling performance issues on Youtube and Netflix resolved completely. Problem is, this cut my total bandwidth down from 1,000Mbps to 100Mbps... not exactly a compromise I was willing to make.

This did, however, allow me to further refine my Google scrounging! This Reddit Post held the answer I was searching for. The IPV6 option in the Ethernet adapter properties needed to be disabled.

I only wish I might have discovered this solution before I completely reset my PC and it's OS to a blank freaking slate...

Hope this works for you all as well, I'll be reinstalling everything from scratch... Good luck!

mach1threat

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I have good news... I think i have figured out the issue. It seems to be something to do with IPV6 setting called IPv6 WAN Configuration:

go to advanced at the top
, network settings on the left
IPV6
Set "IPv6 WAN Configuration: " to <NONE>

Now i am streaming 2 1080P videos on 2 different computers when it would BARELY do one at 144P without freezing about every 10 seconds....

Status
Not open for further replies.