Question PC with dual monitors crashes after HDR turned on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 22, 2019
I has this issue ever since I build my new pc a month ago and couldn't figure out the cause of it.

My PC specifications:
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 280mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme, BIOS version: F8A
Ram: Corsair CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 16Gb *4
SSD/HDD: Samsung 970 PRO MZ-V7P1T0E 1 TB SSD * 2
GPU: GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme WATERFORCE
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2, 80+ Platinum 750W
Chassis: CORSAIR Crystal Series 680X
Monitors:
  1. ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ 27" Gaming Monitor 4K UHD 144Hz DP HDMI G-SYNC HDR
  2. LG 27UD68-W 27-Inch 4K UHD IPS Monitor with FreeSync

I'm using DP 1.4 cable connecting the 2 monitors, I turn on HDR in windows control panel for my main monitor (there is no such option for the other monitor since it doesn't support HDR). Everything is fine in a general, the main monitor indicates HDR turned on and the picture looks sharp and smooth. But occasionally I'm start to seeing strange behaviors on both monitors. One noticeable thing is, sometimes, if I move the mouse cursor to Chrome address bar, the cursor, which supposedly to be displayed as a text cursor, breaks and splits into 2 cursors and apart from each other about 20 pixels away. Both cursors also seems blurred and colored in some sort. The same behavior can appear on both of the screens.
The most critical issue is sometimes, out of nowhere, even if I stay on desktop without any applications opened. Both screens blink, and I'm keep seeing HDR turning on and off for the next few seconds until it makes a fully recovery on its own. I went to check the windows event logs and there is nothing more to be said beyond "nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered". Once certain way to reproduce this issue is to open up a browser on my second monitor, go to Youtube and play a video in full screen. There is also a chance the PC won't be able to recover by itself and automatically reboot.

There are several other observations if it helps to debug the problem:
  1. 2 scenarios that things seem never went wrong: turn off HDR in widows control panel, or disconnect the second monitor(the one w/o HDR).
  2. If I turned off hard acceleration in Chrome, the issue with video play in full screen resolved. But the random driver reset still occurs once awhile.
  3. Switching cables won't help with the issue. I have tried several DP cables so it definitely not because of a bad cable. Also I tried to connect the second monitor with a HDMI 2.2 cable. Still no luck, but it raised another weird problem. I am not able to adjust the color settings inside Nvidia control panel. the radio button stays on "use default color settings", and if I go ahead change it to "use Nvidia color settings" and click apply, the panel refresh and rolls back to the default color settings
without any warnings or errors. Connecting both monitors with DP cables doesn't have such problem.
  1. I had an OC on CPU to 5.0GHz, and stock setting on GPU. I rolled back the CPU to stock setting, doesn't help.
  2. I preformed a clean installation of the latest Nvidia driver 436.02 that came Aug 20, still not fixed.
At this point I am really clueless, I'm not even sure if this is a software settings vs hardware issue.

Appreciated all the helps in advance.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You should list your full system's specs when posting a troubleshooting thread, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Are you on the latest BIOS for your motherboard? Make and model for your PSU? What sort of an aftermarket cooler are you using to cool that i9-9900K?

Aug 22, 2019
You should list your full system's specs when posting a troubleshooting thread, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Are you on the latest BIOS for your motherboard? Make and model for your PSU? What sort of an aftermarket cooler are you using to cool that i9-9900K?
Sorry about that, I updated my original post to address those questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS