[SOLVED] PC With RTX 2080 won't post

Nov 3, 2019
Hello everyone,

So, i finished my first build yesterday, but the PC won't post with my RTX 2080, i switched slots, tried different cable but still won't post.

GPU lights switches on, but no signal. however, I know it's the GPU because when i took it off, and used the Motherboard HDMI, PC works fine and i am actually using it to write this.

Any ideas? or is the GPU simply faulty? Thanks and help much appreciated.

Build specs are:

GPU: Asus rog strix RTX 2080
CPU: AMD 3400G (Temporarily until 3950X is available)
Motherboard: Asus X570-e gaming
RAM: 32GB Trident z neo 3600mhz CL16
PSU: 1000W be quiet dark power pro 11

Solution
it's a separate cable dedicated only to the GPU, from PCie1 on PSU to the 2080. i also already tried switching from PCie1 to PCie2 to no avail. And yes, all 16 pins are plugged to the GPU with 2 white LEDs on (one on each 8 pin plug).

One thing i forgot to mention, when GPU is plugged to motherboard resulting in no signal, the VGA error LED (White) on motherboard switches on.

Did you try the 1 separate power cable going to both of the 8-pin power plugs on the 2080 from PCie1 & PCIe2. So in essence 2 power cables going from the PSU to the 2080.

Do you have another card, non-onboard, that you could try? Try it in a different slot? Try the 2080 in another system to see if it's faulty? Do you have the main power molex + the ones...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hello everyone,

So, i finished my first build yesterday, but the PC won't post with my RTX 2080, i switched slots, tried different cable but still won't post.

GPU lights switches on, but no signal. however, I know it's the GPU because when i took it off, and used the Motherboard HDMI, PC works fine and i am actually using it to write this.

Any ideas? or is the GPU simply faulty? Thanks and help much appreciated.

Build specs are:

GPU: Asus rog strix RTX 2080
CPU: AMD 3400G (Temporarily until 3950X is available)
Motherboard: Asus X570-e gaming
RAM: 32GB Trident z neo 3600mhz CL16
PSU: 1000W be quiet dark power pro 11

Looks like a bad arse system you're gonna be rocking! 1st question is gonna be the generic "Are you sure you have the power cables correctly installed?" Your 1kW PSU is modular I take it? You sure you have the correct cables coming out to power that 2080? (Even if the RGB lights come on) Whats your monitor? Try a DP cable instead?

Reactions: Pptmaster
Nov 3, 2019
Yeah, i'm a 3D artist and this build is meant to be my workstation for the next couple of years or more, and maybe some gaming when i have the time.

As for the cables, i used the cables labeled VGA, plugged one end in PCIe out in the PSU, and the other (3/1 plus 3/1) to the GPU. am i doing it right? or should it be using P8/P4 on the PSU? Monitors unfortunately are still on order so i am using my LG TV for now.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Are you daisy-chaining (1 cable from the PCIe1 slot on the PSU) the dual 8-pin molex for the 2080's dual 8-pin power or do you have a separate 8-pin cables going to the 2080? 1 separate 8-pin going to both of the power plugs on the 2080 from PCie1 & PCIe2. That's what I meant. On the 2080, there isn't a "free" power pin correct? You have all 16-pins plugged?

Try what I highlight in RED above.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019
it's a separate cable dedicated only to the GPU, from PCie1 on PSU to the 2080. i also already tried switching from PCie1 to PCie2 to no avail. And yes, all 16 pins are plugged to the GPU with 2 white LEDs on (one on each 8 pin plug).

One thing i forgot to mention, when GPU is plugged to motherboard resulting in no signal, the VGA error LED (White) on motherboard switches on.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

Did you try the 1 separate power cable going to both of the 8-pin power plugs on the 2080 from PCie1 & PCIe2. So in essence 2 power cables going from the PSU to the 2080.

Do you have another card, non-onboard, that you could try? Try it in a different slot? Try the 2080 in another system to see if it's faulty? Do you have the main power molex + the ones on the top plugged in as well? the 8 Pin & 4 Pin?

What Bios Ver. does your mobo have?

Last edited:
Solution