[SOLVED] PC won’t boot up to startup/display after pressing power button but will boot after pressing reset button.

Jan 9, 2020
I recently built a pc a few weeks back. Sometimes whenever I press the power button to start up my pc, everything would start up fine in my pc - fans, led, keyboard and mouse, etc. but no display would show on the monitors. I would have to press the reset button in order to boot it up. This doesn’t happen every time I power it on - in many cases it would boot up normally when pressing power button, but it happens every once in awhile and it’s starting to bug me. Any suggestions on what to check or know about on this issue?

Here’s a list of the parts:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
MSI ARMOR Radeon RX 580 OC
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Gb DDR4 3200 Mhz
Samsung EVO 970 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
Corsair RM750x PSU
Phanteks P600s case

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Have you checked your motherboard's front panel connections? Usually the PWR and RESET connecting pins are next to each other on the motherboard and it's easy to make a mistake when connecting the cables to them.
Jan 16, 2020
Hello hairej! Did you ever find a solution to this? I’m having the exact same issue with a recent build. I also have a 3600x , B450 Tomahawk Max and RM850x. Another similarity is that I’m using a m.2 nvme for my boot drive, however the brand is Adata.

Advice from Reddit was to disable UEFI legacy mode in BIOS. I did this yesterday and it booted up fine but alas today I had the issue again.

Hello hairej! Did you ever find a solution to this? I’m having the exact same issue with a recent build. I also have a 3600x , B450 Tomahawk Max and RM850x. Another similarity is that I’m using a m.2 nvme for my boot drive, however the brand is Adata.

Advice from Reddit was to disable UEFI legacy mode in BIOS. I did this yesterday and it booted up fine but alas today I had the issue again.

It is customary to start your own thread -- please don't use a thread that was started by somebody else.
Dealing with two different people in the same thread can get very confusing.

Thank you

TRENDING THREADS