[SOLVED] PC won´t turn on with button

May 17, 2021
Hi!

I have been having some problems with my computer not turning on when I press the power on button on my cabinet.
The only way to power it on is to use the killswitch on the back of the PSU. I have to flip it OFF then gently flip it ON about halfway up until the pc powers up, then flip it all the way up. After that the pc works normally.

Also worth mentioning that if I shut down the pc for the night, and leave the killswitch on the PSU OFF the whole night, the power up button on my cabinet will work the morning after for like 2 seconds right after flipping the killswitch back to ON. So I have to flip the killswitch back on, then quickly press the power button on my cabinet. My pc will then power up normally, and run without issues. It´s almost like my pc is completely drained of power by the time I wake up if I don´t turn the killswitch on the PSU to OFF before going to bed at night.

I have tried the paperclip test on the PSU, and the fans does start spinning. I also ran hardwaremonitor and my PSU seems to be functioning properly when the pc is on. I also tried bridging the power up pins on the motherboard, but my pc wouldn´t power up.

My hardware:

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700
GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 ROG STRIX OC 6gb
PSU: CoolerMaster MWE Gold 750W
Motherboard: MSI B360 Gaming Pro Carbon
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 8GB x2
Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500gb SSD, WD Black SN750 1TB M.2 SSD

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!
I have tried the paperclip test on the PSU, and the fans does start spinning.
In reality, there is no value in doing this in your case. The paperclip test only checks the PSU can power up, not if it is delivering power correctly. You know yours can power up already.
I also ran hardwaremonitor and my PSU seems to be functioning properly
By this I am assuming you are watching voltages on each rail. Software is unfortunately often inaccurate at capturing live rail voltages, it can just be useful to spot anything obvious. So even if it appears normal, doesn't mean the PSU is good by any means.

I also tried bridging the power up pins on the motherboard, but my pc wouldn´t power up.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!
I have tried the paperclip test on the PSU, and the fans does start spinning.
In reality, there is no value in doing this in your case. The paperclip test only checks the PSU can power up, not if it is delivering power correctly. You know yours can power up already.
I also ran hardwaremonitor and my PSU seems to be functioning properly
By this I am assuming you are watching voltages on each rail. Software is unfortunately often inaccurate at capturing live rail voltages, it can just be useful to spot anything obvious. So even if it appears normal, doesn't mean the PSU is good by any means.

I also tried bridging the power up pins on the motherboard, but my pc wouldn´t power up.
That is more interesting. And would sooner point towards a MB problem.

If it were me, I would breadboard the PC entirely, take everything out of the case, place it on a safe/non-static surface and with just the PSU, MB, CPU+Cooler, 1 stick of RAM, no GPU and plug into onboard graphics - then try powering up with a screwdriver and see if it powers up normally without having to mess with the PSU switch.

Solution
May 17, 2021
Okay so, I did take everything out of the case, then tried to power it up using a screwdriver, however it wouldn't turn on. I'm guessing this is a motherboard issue then?

I also forgot to mention in my last post that whenever I would run OCCT PSU test and my computer would shut down after about 30 seconds on full load, but my CPU and GPU could handle their stress tests perfectly.