Question PC won’t boot when installed new SSD

Jan 26, 2020
GPU: GTX 1060
PSU: EVGA 600 BQ, 600W, Semi Modular
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250 LGA1151
SSD: 480 gM.2 drive installed in motherboard (not sure brand)
CPU: i7 4690k
16gb Ram

This is my first post on this site, and I’m new to working on computers by myself, however I have a friend who told me what to purchase and I went with his suggestions.

I have been playing with the specs above for a few years, but recently I bought a Kingston 240GB A400 SSD so that I could have more space to install more games. When I built the PC, I didn’t have any extra SATA cables to go from the hard drive to the SSD, or from the SSD to the Motherboard, because I believe me and my friend only put in the cables we needed at first. I purchased both of the below on amazon:

• Benfei SATA Cable III
  • COMeap 6pin to 3X15 pin for EVGA semi modular power supply
When I plugged in the Kingston SSD, my computer wouldn’t boot at all, however when the SSD is not plugged in it is fine. I have made sure to plug the SSD into the right ports on the PSU and the motherboard, and the SSD is functional when we experimented on my friends laptop with it.

All of the components are brand new, does anyone have any ideas for why it is not working?
Thank you so much

Last edited:
check the boot sequence in BIOS? could be trying to boot off the A240 instead of your m.2 , also sometimes the choice of SATA port will disable the m.2 if both are SATA

GPU: GTX 1060
PSU: EVGA 600 BQ, 600W, Semi Modular
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250 LGA1151
SSD: 480 gM.2 drive installed in motherboard (not sure brand)
CPU: i7 4690k
16gb Ram

This is my first post on this site, and I’m new to working on computers by myself, however I have a friend who told me what to purchase and I went with his suggestions.

I have been playing with the specs above for a few years, but recently I bought a Kingston 240GB A400 SSD so that I could have more space to install more games. When I built the PC, I didn’t have any extra SATA cables to go from the hard drive to the SSD, or from the SSD to the Motherboard, because I believe me and my friend only put in the cables we needed at first. I purchased both of the below on amazon:

• Benfei SATA Cable III
  • COMeap 6pin to 3X15 pin for EVGA semi modular power supply
When I plugged in the Kingston SSD, my computer wouldn’t boot at all, however when the SSD is not plugged in it is fine. I have made sure to plug the SSD into the right ports on the PSU and the motherboard, and the SSD is functional when we experimented on my friends laptop with it.

All of the components are brand new, does anyone have any ideas for why it is not working?
Thank you so much

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020
Thank you for the reply, how do you check the boot sequence? I’m aware of how to get into BIOS but not sure where to look. Also, I tried to plug it in multiple SATA port in the motherboard but it didn’t work any time.

Jan 26, 2020
check the peripherals tab in bios may say something like SATA and RST config?

Okay, SATA 1-4 says not installed (I don’t have the ssd plugged in or else it won’t boot) then SATA 5 is reading my Crucial CT525M - 525GB not 420 I was mistaken. It says SATA mode selection ACHI and SATA controllers enabled.

need to plug in the A240, get back to bios
see if you have boot order/priority as a menu option. just choose the Crucial ahead of the A240 (once both are installed)

Okay, SATA 1-4 says not installed (I don’t have the ssd plugged in or else it won’t boot) then SATA 5 is reading my Crucial CT525M - 525GB not 420 I was mistaken. It says SATA mode selection ACHI and SATA controllers enabled.

Jan 26, 2020
need to plug in the A240, get back to bios
see if you have boot order/priority as a menu option. just choose the Crucial ahead of the A240 (once both are installed)

I think I explained it incorrectly, when I plug in the A240 the PC wont power on at all and in turn I cant get into BIOS with it.

Jan 26, 2020
maybe you have an incompatible power cable for that drive?
try with a standard cable or the one attached to the Crucial

The crucial is an M.2 and it’s plugged into my motherboard so don’t have any extra cables with that. The power cable is new, but like I said before I don’t have any extra power cables to test on. That could be the issue though