[SOLVED] PC won’t boot after CPU taken out and re installed

Aug 22, 2019
Bought another project PC yesterday. It has an I5-6600 PCU, 16g of RAM, and a GTX 1060. Upon turning it on, booting it up, and benchmarking I was getting surprisingly bad frames for games my old I5-6500 and GTX 1650 have no issues with. User benchmark was showing the CPU running in bottom 1% and the GPU running bottom 20%. I took off CPU cooler, and removed CPU to ensure nothing was damaged. Then removed GPU and did the same. Saw no issues with either. Whenever I replaced everything and turned PC back on I can’t get it to boot. Already tried resetting CMOS, and removing battery with no luck. Any advice would be great.

Sorry for the lengthy post, just wanted to make sure I included all details.

Solution
Assuming you didn't kill the CPU or motherboard during the swap, I'd say double-check that you plugged all cables back in completely. It is quite easy to overlook the EPS12/ATX12/PCIe power cables or not fully insert them.

If everything is powering up "normally" apart from no output on the display, you may want to check motherboard outputs to see if the motherboard may just have decided to boot using IGP instead of dGPU.

InvalidError

Titan
Assuming you didn't kill the CPU or motherboard during the swap, I'd say double-check that you plugged all cables back in completely. It is quite easy to overlook the EPS12/ATX12/PCIe power cables or not fully insert them.

If everything is powering up "normally" apart from no output on the display, you may want to check motherboard outputs to see if the motherboard may just have decided to boot using IGP instead of dGPU.

Solution

Cuss_ed

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
Bought another project PC yesterday. It has an I5-6600 PCU, 16g of RAM, and a GTX 1060. Upon turning it on, booting it up, and benchmarking I was getting surprisingly bad frames for games my old I5-6500 and GTX 1650 have no issues with. User benchmark was showing the CPU running in bottom 1% and the GPU running bottom 20%. I took off CPU cooler, and removed CPU to ensure nothing was damaged. Then removed GPU and did the same. Saw no issues with either. Whenever I replaced everything and turned PC back on I can’t get it to boot. Already tried resetting CMOS, and removing battery with no luck. Any advice would be great.

Sorry for the lengthy post, just wanted to make sure I included all details.

mmm. did you check your RAM. (try swapping them around?)
i hate 'PC running but not booting'. it's an old acquaintance of mine. my 'nemesis'.
and as stated, have you checked your cables? HD plugged?

James9002uk

Commendable
May 30, 2017
Check you didn't knock the off switch on the back of the PSU.

Or maybe the Front Panel Connectors are setup wrong/not connected? Is there a power switch on the Motherboard to press?