Question PC won’t boot after CPU upgrade

Jun 1, 2022
I recently bought a new cpu (amd ryzen 7 5700x) to replace my ryzen 5 3600 and am having issues getting it running in my build. I have an ROG Strix B450 F motherboard (updated it before attempting upgrade) and an RTX 3070, as well as a month old nvme ssd and 16 gbs of ram. Also got a 750w power supply. After putting in my new CPU I get the green motherboard light (manual green means boot issue) and no output to the screens. Any ideas what would cause this? Ive checked all my connections, reseated ram (didnt reseat the gpu since nothing has been changed to it), cleared cmos, and have attempted going back to my old CPU, but I get the same issues. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Here are my exact specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x (Ryzen 5 3600 before)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450 F Gaming
Ram: Not Sure of exact model since I bought second hand. Brand is XPG and speed is 3000 mhz
SSD/HDD: Main drive is WD Black SN 750 SE 1TB
GPU: RTX 3070
PSU: Aresgame AGV750
Chassis: Mid Size Coolermaster

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more information from your end. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

As for your BIOS version, what were you on prior to the upgrade? You are referring to a BIOS update and not a motherboard update, correct? 750W is the advertised wattage of the unit. Please include the make and model of said unit.

Try and disconnect the system from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery and then try powering up the system with the new processor.

Reactions: bsoto01
Jun 1, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more information from your end. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

As for your BIOS version, what were you on prior to the upgrade? You are referring to a BIOS update and not a motherboard update, correct? 750W is the advertised wattage of the unit. Please include the make and model of said unit.

Try and disconnect the system from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery and then try powering up the system with the new processor.

Here are my exact specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x (Ryzen 5 3600 before)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450 F Gaming
Ram: Not Sure of exact model since I bought second hand. Brand is XPG and speed is 3000 mhz
SSD/HDD: Main drive is WD Black SN 750 SE 1TB
GPU: RTX 3070
PSU: Aresgame AGV750
Chassis: Mid Size Coolermaster

Yeah I meant a BIOS update. Unfortunately I didn’t check the version I was on originally, I just knew I had to update for my new CPU to be compatible. The version I updated to was 4801. Resetting CMOS gave me no luck, unfortunately, should’ve mentioned I’ve tried that, my bad

Jun 1, 2022
Did you made sure system works fine after BIOS update but before swapping CPU?
Can you boot to BIOS? If not, unplug all drives and try reaching BIOS again.
Yeah it booted up fine before I switched out the CPUs (got to Windows login screen, I didn’t test further but I assume that means it should’ve been good). Unplugging all my drives ended up giving me the same issues.

Jun 1, 2022
Yeah it booted up fine before I switched out the CPUs (got to Windows login screen, I didn’t test further but I assume that means it should’ve been good). Unplugging all my drives ended up giving me the same issues.
Should’ve been more specific. I can’t seem to get to BIOS. When I start my computer, my monitor gives me a backlit black screen for about a second then turns off, everything in the case seems to have power

Sure does. I’m at a complete loss.
Last thing to try is proper CMOS reset as described in manual (removing battery is shortcut that not always works). Otherwise it looks like something might have died when you were doing 3600 to 5700 swap. Unfortunately symptoms are not pointing towards any particular component. Have any spare components to try? If not, I think repair shop will be fastest way to solve the problem.

Jun 1, 2022
I’ll check my manual for a proper cmos reset. Unfortunately I don’t have a spare motherboard to try (that’s the only thing I can guess that might be acting up), so I am planning on taking it to a shop after work today. Was hoping someone here might’ve ran into that issue while I wait till then.

I’ll check my manual for a proper cmos reset. Unfortunately I don’t have a spare motherboard to try (that’s the only thing I can guess that might be acting up), so I am planning on taking it to a shop after work today. Was hoping someone here might’ve ran into that issue while I wait till then.
Motherboard is biggest suspect if the problem was caused by swapping CPU. But there is always possibility that something else died accidentally while you were doing that.

Reactions: bsoto01
Jun 1, 2022
Motherboard is biggest suspect if the problem was caused by swapping CPU. But there is always possibility that something else died accidentally while you were doing that.
Yeah that’s true, guess I’m hoping it’s the motherboard (unless of course the computer shop manages to come up with some easy solution). I’d hate to replace my GPU for example

InvalidError

Titan
When I updated the BIOS on my TUF B560, the update process rebooted the board three times before completing. If Asus' AMD boards do the same thing, are you sure the board actually completed the update process before you shut it down and swapped the CPUs? If not, you may have bricked the BIOS by interrupting the update.

Jun 1, 2022
When I updated the BIOS on my TUF B560, the update process rebooted the board three times before completing. If Asus' AMD boards do the same thing, are you sure the board actually completed the update process before you shut it down and swapped the CPUs? If not, you may have bricked the BIOS by interrupting the update.
That’s a possibility. It did boot into windows after the update though, so I’m not too sure on that front.