Question PC Won’t Boot (Or Power Off) After Failed Memory OC

Jul 25, 2021
Hi All,

I finally decided to take the leap into overclocking today, and it hasn’t gone well to say the least. I used 1usmus’ DRAM calculator to come up with some RAM timings and voltages. Unfortunately, after plugging these into my BIOS, my system got stuck on the MOBO logo screen and failed to progress to booting. To fix the issue, I force powered off the system by holding the power button, unplugged it, and cleared the CMOS by jumping the clear CMOS pins. I was able to get back into BIOS and revert my changes. On my next attempt, I adjusted some timings and upped the SOC voltage to 1.1V. This time, on powering up, my system did not output any video signal and did not reach the MOBO logo screen. I noticed a small amber light on the MOBO, which I assumed was indicating another RAM issue. Planning to try again, I powered off the system and re-jumped the clear CMOS pins. This time though, the system did not reboot, and I still receive no video output from my graphics card. The RAM and graphics card light up normally and the fans spin. There is no amber light on the MOBO.

This is where things get more weird. Oddly, when I tried to force power off the system by holding the power button, the system does not shut off. Instead the power button starts flashing until I release it. The system will only power off when I switch off the PSU or pull the plug out of the wall. I’ve tried cleaning the CMOS several times now, to no avail. I’ve also reseated the RAM and attempted to boot with only one stick.

Does anyone have experience with something like this? I’m fairly sure the CMOS clearing is not the issue, given that it worked the first time. Could there be damage to the system hardware? How might I go about determining if that’s the case?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Rig:

RTX 3080 Aorus Xtreme
Ryzen 5900X
32GB 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Neo RAM
Noctua NH-U12A
Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB
Crucial P5 2TB 3D NAND NVMe
GIGABYTE B550I AORUS PRO AX AM4 AMD B550 Mini-ITX Motherboard
Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold Full Modular, 850W
Cooler Master NR200 SFF Small Form Factor Mini-ITX