[SOLVED] PC won’t boot past BIOS unless PSU is turned off and disconnected, and power strip is turned off

mlg129

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016
Specs:
ASRock Z97 Extreme6 Mobo
Intel i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad Core CPU
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 GPU
EVGA SuperNOVA 850W PSU

If I only disconnect/turn off the PSU or only turn the power strip everything is connected to off, my PC won’t boot past the BIOS screen, I have to do both everytime. Even when restarting.

This started happening after I got a MSI Optix MPG27CQ monitor recently. When I power down my PC, my CPU cooler’s LEDs and fans continue running, along with my case’s fans. Thing is, they remain powered on even after I turn off and unplug my PSU.

However, I noticed that they will power down when I disconnect the DisplayPort cable running from the monitor to my GPU.

Similar posts make it seem like either a PSU or Motherboard issue. Is that the case with me, or is it something else entirely?

Solution
First, try removing the power strip from the equation. Your power supply shouldn't ever be plugged into a power strip anyhow unless it's a very high quality model from a company like Tripp-Lite, Eaton, Leviton and a few other companies who make high end industrial quality power strips. NONE of them, even the very high end models, offer any ACTUAL protection against surges, brown outs or lightning strikes anyhow and VERY OFTEN they create problems that wouldn't otherwise exist.

Unless you are using a UPS battery backup or have a very high quality power strip, your power supply should always be plugged directly into the wall socket. Now, that being said, while this MIGHT not be your problem anyhow, you should STILL plug directly into the...
First, try removing the power strip from the equation. Your power supply shouldn't ever be plugged into a power strip anyhow unless it's a very high quality model from a company like Tripp-Lite, Eaton, Leviton and a few other companies who make high end industrial quality power strips. NONE of them, even the very high end models, offer any ACTUAL protection against surges, brown outs or lightning strikes anyhow and VERY OFTEN they create problems that wouldn't otherwise exist.

Unless you are using a UPS battery backup or have a very high quality power strip, your power supply should always be plugged directly into the wall socket. Now, that being said, while this MIGHT not be your problem anyhow, you should STILL plug directly into the wall socket to see if it solves your issue before going any further.

Other components such as your monitor or printer can be plugged into the power strip as they are not likely to suffer any major issues in the same way that your PC does when used with a cheap power strip.

Solution

mlg129

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016

Thank you for the advice, my PSU is now plugged directly into the wall. However, booting still only gets me to the BIOS screen. I still have to turn off and disconnect the PSU to boot windows. Some additional information, I noticed that if I try to start up with the monitor disconnected, when I plug it back in it will display no signal until I restart.

Ok, so next thing I'd do is check the plug sockets on both the monitor and the graphics card, and both ends of the display cable to see if anything looks wrong like bent pins or burnt spots?

Do you still have the old monitor or can you borrow another monitor to see if perhaps it's just a problem with the monitor itself?