Pc won’t boot properly most of the time

Sep 3, 2018
In the last two weeks I’ve had an issue where my computer won’t always boot up properly (more often than not), no display or keyboard power, and a dim power led.

Sometimes it boots properly (well lit power led, full display, keyboard power etc.) and it just works.

AND THEN sometimes it turns on fine with display, well lit led, keyboard power etc. Only to turn itself off back on again with a dim power led, no display etc. Again...

If/when It does boot correctly it stays on (no crashes or freezes and works as it should), processes are fine, running games on high settings is fine, all temp levels and power use is fine etc.

I’ve gutted the entire pc component by component to try and discover the source of the issue but nothing has changed. That includes reseating wires, hardware etc.

The computer seemlingly seems to just work when and if it feels like it. I’m not a novice to building PCs as I’ve always built my own and for the last 4 years it’s ran like a dream (I’ve changed the gpu, ram, cpu HDD, And PSU when they needed updating, the only thing that hasn’t changed is my mobo).

I’m starting to suspect my mobo is dead/dying, but even that is just suspicion because like I said, the pc works and stays on when it does turn on correctly.

The mobo emits no beeping noises signifying anything is wrong, even when I removed everything apart from the cpu and PSU ...

I’m at a complete loss and feel I’ve tried everything to get to the core of the issue, even reset the CMOS. I still suspect the mobo but the fact hat my pc turns on and stays on (when it wants to) leaves me scratching my head.

Anyone have any ideas? Tbh if it’s dead I’d rather it stayed dead than keep giving me glimmers of hope lol

MOBO: msi gigabyte z87-g45
GPU: AMD r9 270x 4gb
Cpu: i5 4670k 3.4ghz (heat sink attached).
PSU: Corsair cx 600
Ram: Team group Vulcan 4GB ddr3 2133mhz (x2)
SSHD: Seagate Barracuda 1000GB

Solution
Since you have replaced almost every component except the motherboard then the motherboard is indeed suspect.

Could simple be some broken, but still touching (sometimes) connection. "Make and break" meaning that the connectivity may come and go with heat, movement, vibrations...

Try testing the PSU if possible.

Here is a link to help:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

If you do not know how to do so yourself, find a knowledgeable friend or family member to help.

Do bear in mind that the PSU test may be skewed by not being under load per se and/or an intermittent connection inside the PSU.

Being 4 years "old" it is quite likely that some component is reaching EOL (End of...

Ralston18

Titan
When you are able to boot up and the computer is working, run Reliability History and look for error codes and warnings.

Especially those error codes and warnings that occur just before or at the time of some problem; e.g, a crash.

And make use of the other tools that are avialable: Task Manager, Resource Monitor, Event Viewer.

Look for specific events or patterns that may appear.

Sep 3, 2018
I’ll give that a look if it decides to boot up again today.

The pc doesn’t crash once it’s actually properly on, it’s just getting the thing started at all that’s the problem.

Will those logs show failed boot ups?

Ralston18

Titan
Likely to show something but not always the cause per se.

Lots of things happen during boot up and with so many dependencies B may fail because A did not happen.

B may be reported and A not. Or B will say "failed" because A did not start but why A did not start is left open.

Then the error codes (if any) themselves can be and are inconclusive, vague, or just cover a broad range of events.

Becomes a matter of detective work and elimination....

Sep 3, 2018
Unfortunately it decided not to boot at all yesterday, I’ll try again today but if it doesn’t boot i can assume it’s probabt dead dead now.

I’ll update later today.

Sep 3, 2018
I’ve managed to get on it, I had to basically wind up the power by turning it off and on multiple times...

The only event that is major is when I forcibly turned it off via the power switch. Other than that absolutely nothing telling me anything is out of the ordinary.

Ralston18

Titan
Since you have replaced almost every component except the motherboard then the motherboard is indeed suspect.

Could simple be some broken, but still touching (sometimes) connection. "Make and break" meaning that the connectivity may come and go with heat, movement, vibrations...

Try testing the PSU if possible.

Here is a link to help:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

If you do not know how to do so yourself, find a knowledgeable friend or family member to help.

Do bear in mind that the PSU test may be skewed by not being under load per se and/or an intermittent connection inside the PSU.

Being 4 years "old" it is quite likely that some component is reaching EOL (End of Life). Generally by design....

Solution
Sep 3, 2018
I’ve tried the paper clip test on the PSU and it fires up, I know the paper clip test is not ideal but I don’t own or know anyone that owns a multimeter so it’s all I can do.

I agree with your synopsis though, I suspect the same as you that the mobo is probably at its end (its five/six year old tech at this point).

I’ll just have to get a new mobo in that case. Thanks for all your help though, much appreciated.