Question PC won’t boot with 4 sticks of RAM ?

Ij6969

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Hey everyone, i have a ROG Strix B450-F motherboard which i’ve owned for 3 years now and I haven’t had any issues with it until now.
I’m trying to upgrade RAM to 32gb. I had 16gb of T force rgb ram since i built the PC and recently on market place i found another 16gb kit of T force rgb ram. The ram is not the issue because i tested it on another pc it works fine. All slots light up the rgb but it only boots when I have 2 sticks installed ?

Ralston18

Titan
If the RAM is mixed and not from a matched kit for dual channel use then that would be one potential problem.

Some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM stick be installed in a specific RAM slot. Check that.

Double check the User Guide/Manual and the manufacturer's website for supported RAM and RAM configurations. Including BIOS requirements.

Are you sure the "new" 16 GB RAM sticks are real (not counterfeit) and meet the full motherboard RAM specs?

Do you trust the seller/source? Even if so, that is not a gurarantee that the sticks are as expected or should be.

What problems or shortcomings required the upgrade from 16GB to 32 GB? More RAM does not necessarily improve things.

Install all RAM and clear CMOS which will force memory training. See if it will now boot or at least allow you into the BIOS. However mixing kits there is no guarantee this will work without issues. Also when using 4 dimms you may need to run a slower speed for it to be stable.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, particularly ryzen can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios if you have an overclocking motherboard.