Question PC won’t boot with 4x8 (32gb) RAM ?

jenuelhomeres

Reputable
Jan 11, 2019
Hello, I just got a new set of ram from the same manufacturer(same everything) hoping to upgrade to 32gbs of ram. Weirdly PC won’t boot but works fine with 16. Tried removing cmos for 15 mins to reset bios, tried increasing voltage, tried enabling disabling XMP, also tried 2133 to max frequency of ram which is 3200. This is really killing me. Already had to format pc because apparently windows got corrupted (I was switching the ram around the slots while turning off power) All ram works when tested by pairs in each slot dual channel. Again thanks in advance for the help!

PC SPECS:
GIGABYTE B450M DS3H
Ryzen 5 3400G
Team group T-Force TUF Gaming RGB 4x8 gb 3200mhz CL 16
GTX 1650 Super
Cougar XTC 600

At minimum all RAM sticks would need exactly the same timings for their specifications. Even with the same timing, it is common for adding non-matched sticks to fail. If you buy all of the sticks in a single pack they are matched. If you buy them in different packs, they are probably not matched.

jenuelhomeres

Reputable
Jan 11, 2019
At minimum all RAM sticks would need exactly the same timings for their specifications. Even with the same timing, it is common for adding non-matched sticks to fail. If you buy all of the sticks in a single pack they are matched. If you buy them in different packs, they are probably not matched.
Weirdly enough they are matched(what says on the box) Same everything. Any way I could make this work without upgrading to a Zen 3 processor?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Weirdly enough they are matched(what says on the box) Same everything. Any way I could make this work without upgrading to a Zen 3 processor?
No there not matched unless they came in one package of 4 sticks, they could even be made with different parts.

If you needed 32GB of memory you should of posted first. I would of recommend selling what you have and buying a 2X16GB set.

Edit: even upgrading the processor probably won't help.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

jenuelhomeres

Reputable
Jan 11, 2019
No there not matched unless they came in one package of 4 sticks, they could even be made with different parts.

If you needed 32GB of memory you should of posted first. I would of recommend selling what you have and buying a 2X16GB set.
Thanks, quite disappointing but nothing I can do.

jenuelhomeres

Reputable
Jan 11, 2019
Update: Managed to make it work, updated bios to latest version, cleaned old ram sticks with eraser. Runs stable but speed is only at 2400 mhz even with XMP enabled @ 3200 ?

I agree with @Zerk2012, they have to come in the same package to guarantee they match. Perhaps you could return those and get a matched set of 4 sticks (sorry, I know that costs money you might not have, but there really isn't any other way unless you get lucky).

Reactions: jenuelhomeres

jenuelhomeres

Reputable
Jan 11, 2019
I agree with @Zerk2012, they have to come in the same package to guarantee they match. Perhaps you could return those and get a matched set of 4 sticks (sorry, I know that costs money you might not have, but there really isn't any other way unless you get lucky).
I think I got lucky, bios update fixed it. It was matched. I heard zen+ cpus had troubles handling all dimm slots.