PC won’t boot with all cores on (WINDOWS 10)

rickynorris.29

Prominent
Oct 18, 2018
I have an AMD FX8350 (8 core) and my OS is windows 10, whenever I try booting my pc I get the windows logo and the white loading circle then it restarts and boots up to the loading and repeats. However, this stopped when I disabled a pair of cores in my BIOS. It didn’t matter which core I disabled, if i disable 3&4 it works, if I enable 3&4 and disable 5&6 or 7&8 it works, but if I have all of them on then it doesn’t work. Any ideas?

Solution
That CPU is not supported, AT ALL, on that motherboard. It's not even on the CPU support list. Usually, even boards that are too weak to really support the 8 core FX processors tended to still list them. That one does not. That tells you all you need to know. That board only supports processors up to 95w, while the FX-8350 is a 125w processor. Power phase and delivery on that board are terrible. There are no heatsinks on the VRMs. Plus, ALL of the M5A78L-M motherboards including the LX3 and other various sub models are of terrible quality, even for that chipset.

You need a better motherboard or you need a 4 or 6 core FX processor to use that board. One of these would be suitable and generally still available either new or used.

(Be...

rickynorris.29

Prominent
Oct 18, 2018
AMD FX8350 (CPU) (Existing Part)
RX470 4GB (GPU) (Existing Part)
8GBs Hyper X ram (Existing Part)
Corsair VS550 (PSU) (New Part & Just installed)
Artic Alpine 64 Plus (Cooler) (New & Just Installed)
ASUS AMD AM3+ 760G (motherboard) (existing)
I have windows on my SSD and my games and stuff on my HDD
Had to replace my PSU because a capicator blew on my last one.
It worked fine before, only just started happening. Works fine and boots up with 6 cores, doesnt get passed the loading screen with all 8 selected.

You listed the CPU socket, AM3+, and the motherboard chipset, 760G, but you did NOT list the motherboard model number and this is extremely important. You will need to take the case side panel off and find the model number on the motherboard. It will most likely be either printed somewhere across the middle or along the upper left edge of the board. Somewhere on the board the model number will be listed, or you can find it in Windows system information.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2299418/obtain-basic-advanced-system-information.html

rickynorris.29

Prominent
Oct 18, 2018

M5A78L-M LX3

That CPU is not supported, AT ALL, on that motherboard. It's not even on the CPU support list. Usually, even boards that are too weak to really support the 8 core FX processors tended to still list them. That one does not. That tells you all you need to know. That board only supports processors up to 95w, while the FX-8350 is a 125w processor. Power phase and delivery on that board are terrible. There are no heatsinks on the VRMs. Plus, ALL of the M5A78L-M motherboards including the LX3 and other various sub models are of terrible quality, even for that chipset.

You need a better motherboard or you need a 4 or 6 core FX processor to use that board. One of these would be suitable and generally still available either new or used.

(Be sure to check when looking for a motherboard that any of the models shown below are either 990fx, 990 or 970 chipsets. A Z170 Extreme6 for example, is not going to work with your FX processor, so you want to look for the 990/990fx Extreme6, just as an example.)

GA-990FXA-UD7
Extreme6
Extreme9
Fatal1ty 990FX Professional
Crosshair V Formula-Z
Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
GA-99FXA-UD5
MSI GD80V2
M5A99FX PRO R2.0
GA-99FXA-UD3
MSI GD65V2
990FX Killer