Question PC won’t boot with GPU plugged in

Onlyhafrican

Prominent
Jul 2, 2021
MSI 1080 GPU
MSI MPG Z390 MB

My computer that has been running fine up until writing this post will not display image when GPU is plugged in. I am hoping that I just plugged something in wrong, like HDMI or the GPU power cords after I reinstalled everything.

I get image when GPU is unplugged and display is running from MB. Computer shows CPU, RAM, and MB are all running. Testing a CPU intensive game also works fine.

Booting BIOS with GPU unplugged shows everything as well.

Plugging in GPU gives no display at all. Monitors do not even register. Fans/Lights on GPU run when this is going on.

What I have attempted to troubleshoot so far and the results I got if any.

- Pulling battery from MB for 10minutes. Putting it back in.

- Reseating everything

- Installing GPU in both PSI slots several times

- (While writing this post) I got bios to appear on my display. The Resolution looks way off and when I get to BIOS it’s looks corrupted but still not reading GPU. If I let computer run past BIOS setup the display goes black. Monitor is still on and detecting a display but using the mouse/keyboard or just waiting gets it passed a black screen.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? You should disconnect from the wall and your displays(and peripherals) then remove the CMOS battery for 30 minutes before replacing. Got a link to your particular GTX1080 from MSI?

Onlyhafrican

Prominent
Jul 2, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? You should disconnect from the wall and your displays(and peripherals) then remove the CMOS battery for 30 minutes before replacing. Got a link to your particular GTX1080 from MSI?

PSU 4 year old 600W Cool Master “Masterwatt Lite”

Could you let me know how to check BIOS version . I have never done that before.

What exactly would replacing the CMOS battery do if everything is running seemingly alright.

https://us.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-GTX-1080-GAMING-X-8G.html

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS