Question PC won’t boot without video connected.

240hz

Reputable
May 25, 2017
Basically the title of this thread. It did use to work and boot without video plugged in. But now it no longer does. Just out of nowhere. I was connecting some new fans and when I went to try them without any cables connected to the PC but the power cable, it didn’t boot. I connected the video cable to see if anything was showing up and it booted to desktop all fine. It makes no sense. All I want is for this problem to be on the motherboard, because I was thinking of changing it before this, anyways. I don’t think it’s the GPU, since I removed it and tried again with the motherboard video ports and same story. Could it be the CPU or RAM?? By the way I know it doesn’t boot because I have an MSI mobo (ez debug led thing) and also because I connected video AFTER it failed to boot and it seemed to be a frozen screen of the black screen with white console letters before the OS even starts... Oh and also because I didn’t see iCue with my lighting profile.

240hz

Reputable
May 25, 2017
Just found out that according to the Ez debug led, my GPU was not detected or it failed. Still happens with GPU out of the system.
Also specs:
CPU: i7-7700k
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1070
Motherboard: msi z270 gaming plus
RAM: corsair vengeance 8gbx2 2333mhz
And an M2 (crucial 256gb)
*4 fans installed, including the cpu fan. one of them is DC.
***I also just remembered that all of this started happening after I tried plugging in a fifth fan (DC) to the sys-fan connector closest to the middle of the board. It could be coincidence or maybe it made this happen.