Question PC Won’t boot

Trevor Johnson

Honorable
Nov 8, 2014
A day ago I was trying to turn on my pc, it would start to boot and at random times shut off. Up until then the PC has been solid. I’ve tested the PSU and I know there’s no problem with that (use a psu tester and the paper clip test). The problem I am now running into is I cannot get the to boot, whether it be shorting the power pins or using a power button. Any suggestions on how I should go about diagnostics from here?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What is your full system spec including PSU make and model?

The paperclip test only tests if the PSU can start up, not necessarily that it is outputting the correct or stable power.
The PSU tester will also be the same, as the tester won't induce load, and PSUs if they are faulty can often fault when stressed, not when there is no / little stress.

Does literally nothing happen when you short the power pins?

In the meantime, I would cover absolutely every step in this guide first: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Trevor Johnson

Honorable
Nov 8, 2014
What is your full system spec including PSU make and model?

The paperclip test only tests if the PSU can start up, not necessarily that it is outputting the correct or stable power.
The PSU tester will also be the same, as the tester won't induce load, and PSUs if they are faulty can often fault when stressed, not when there is no / little stress.

Does literally nothing happen when you short the power pins?

In the meantime, I would cover absolutely every step in this guide first: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

My system is:
CPU- Ryzen 7 2700
Mobo- MSI b450i gaming plus
Ram- 2x8gb crucial ballistix 3000 MHz
Storage- m.2 970 plus
GPU- rx 580 8gb
Psu- rosewill quark 1200w

When I press the power button nothing happens, when I short the power pins nothing happens. I’m not sure where to go from here.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
And you have covered everything in the guide above?

If so, I'd be tempted to swap out the motherboard or the PSU. If nothing happens at all when you short the pins then the POST isn't even starting. Does anything happen if you remove the GPU and short the pins?

Trevor Johnson

Honorable
Nov 8, 2014
And you have covered everything in the guide above?

If so, I'd be tempted to swap out the motherboard or the PSU. If nothing happens at all when you short the pins then the POST isn't even starting. Does anything happen if you remove the GPU and short the pins?

I did everything in that guide, just to be sure I went ahead and tried it again, no dice. Am I stuck to replacing the motherboard or psu to figuring out what is wrong? I do have another Ryzen processor I could try to put in (2200g).

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I did everything in that guide, just to be sure I went ahead and tried it again, no dice. Am I stuck to replacing the motherboard or psu to figuring out what is wrong? I do have another Ryzen processor I could try to put in (2200g).
If you have a spare Ryzen then give it a go and remove the GPU and run on the 2200G Vega.

However I would largely suspect it will be the Motherboard or PSU. The PSU is significantly more than you'll ever need, but it is decent quality. But if you encountered random shutdowns before it could well be.

Trevor Johnson

Honorable
Nov 8, 2014
If you have a spare Ryzen then give it a go and remove the GPU and run on the 2200G Vega.

However I would largely suspect it will be the Motherboard or PSU. The PSU is significantly more than you'll ever need, but it is decent quality. But if you encountered random shutdowns before it could well be.

Replacing it didn’t work, as you suspected. Do you recommend getting a new power supply or motherboard? I don’t have replacement components for this :(