[SOLVED] Pc won’t boot

Feb 3, 2020
Hi,
when I turn my pc on, the lights flash for a split second and the fans start spinning, I’m confused because the Ram and GPU lights are always on, I tested the RAM and gpu I rn was neither, I think my PSU works and I would like some help on how to fix

Solution
You have a CPU error code, beep or light?

It's still hard to say, because without a power supply that you KNOW has adequate quality AND capacity, and is functional, with no problems, then you still can't rule it out. Every single component in the system can fail to work properly if it is not getting sufficient power. Assuming you believe the power supply to not be the problem, which I have a difficult time agreeing with completely given how often I see the PSU turn out to BE the problem, especially when it's either very old or very poor quality, then I believe your next step will be to disconnect from power completely, remove the CPU cooler, remove the CPU and check for bent pins on the CPU. If there are none, then it looks more like a...
Feb 3, 2020
What are your full system hardware specifications including the EXACT model of your power supply, which you can find on the label ON the power supply itself.

gtx 1070
16gb 2400mhz RAM
Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte GA-AB350-gaming 3
OCZ MODX stream-pro 600W psu
256gb SSD
128gb SSD
2 1TB HDDs

Feb 3, 2020
I’m not to sure, this is however the 2nd PSU I tried and both had the same result, I also tested a Corsair VS450 (the Corsair was in the system when it stopped working

The ModX stream is so old, I'd be surprised if it even worked, at all.

The VS, was a pile of junk when it was new, and is grossly underpowered for that configuration which needs a good 500w or higher unit anyhow. What color is the label on the side of that VS unit? Is it all black and gray or does it have orange-ish letters that say VS on the side?

And you're not sure if this system has ever run or not? How is that possible?

Feb 3, 2020
The ModX stream is so old, I'd be surprised if it even worked, at all.

The VS, was a pile of junk when it was new, and is grossly underpowered for that configuration which needs a good 500w or higher unit anyhow. What color is the label on the side of that VS unit? Is it all black and gray or does it have orange-ish letters that say VS on the side?

And you're not sure if this system has ever run or not? How is that possible?
This system has been running for 2-3 weeks perfectly, the VS has a grey label with no orange letters

Ok, so that revision of the VS is not so bad, but it's not great either. It's better than the older version with the orange letters, but it is still the lowest quality unit sold by Corsair, and it is also underpowered for that system.

So, between the time that it was working fine, and the time that it started having problems, what changed?

Did you add or remove any hardware, at all? Did you make changes to anything? Update the BIOS at all? Anything at all that might have caused the problem?

Do you have another graphics card you can try or borrow to try?

What EXACTLY does it do when you turn the power on? And what exactly does it NOT do?

Feb 3, 2020
Ok, so that revision of the VS is not so bad, but it's not great either. It's better than the older version with the orange letters, but it is still the lowest quality unit sold by Corsair, and it is also underpowered for that system.

So, between the time that it was working fine, and the time that it started having problems, what changed?

Did you add or remove any hardware, at all? Did you make changes to anything? Update the BIOS at all? Anything at all that might have caused the problem?

Do you have another graphics card you can try or borrow to try?

What EXACTLY does it do when you turn the power on? And what exactly does it NOT do?
After extra troubleshooting, the motherboard says the cpu is not working properly

You have a CPU error code, beep or light?

It's still hard to say, because without a power supply that you KNOW has adequate quality AND capacity, and is functional, with no problems, then you still can't rule it out. Every single component in the system can fail to work properly if it is not getting sufficient power. Assuming you believe the power supply to not be the problem, which I have a difficult time agreeing with completely given how often I see the PSU turn out to BE the problem, especially when it's either very old or very poor quality, then I believe your next step will be to disconnect from power completely, remove the CPU cooler, remove the CPU and check for bent pins on the CPU. If there are none, then it looks more like a motherboard issue but it's impossible to rule out the CPU and there is really no way to test for a faulty CPU or motherboard other than eliminating everything else.

Also, you don't want to pull the CPU until and unless you have or can get some thermal paste so you can replace it before reinstalling the CPU. You will want to clean the old paste off using isopropyl alcohol and a micro-fiber or lint free cloth, or paper coffee filter. You don't want to use normal rags or paper towels because they can leave lint behind on the CPU or heatsink surface which is enough to reduce the effectiveness of the cooler. Reapply using a dot in the center of the CPU about half the size of a frozen pea or a line about twice the width of a grain of rice and about 1.5x as long. If you are using a low mounting pressure type cooler that uses push pins or clips rather than actual screws to fasten down the cooler, then use a little more than you would for a standard cooler since it won't tend to flatten and push out the paste nearly as much as one with a high pressure mount.

Before doing any of that though, it might be worth double checking the basics such as removing and reinstalling the memory modules. If you have two memory modules installed then be sure they are installed in the second and fourth slots away from the CPU, if you have four DIMM slots.

Try reseating the graphics card.

Try disconnecting all drives to see if it will at least boot into the BIOS.

Double and triple check everything here:

Solution
Feb 3, 2020
I’ve been experimenting recently and one time the pc booted properly to windows but after resetting it I had the same problem, I don’t know if this helps you, I will try to reseat the cpu tommorrow
Thank you for your help

If it booted to Windows and ran normally until you restarted, then the problem is a lot less likely to be hardware than software or configuration.

Try this, first.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

Ok, well that's not what I meant but I can pretty much tell you for sure that you need some help by somebody in a professional capacity or somebody who personally knows their way around computers because for the most part the minimal questions I've fielded have been responded to without much confidence or suggestion of being capable enough in this area to do what needs done to figure out the problem.

Take it to a shop or get some help from somebody who knows computers would be my advice. At this point it is MOST likely that the motherboard is to blame, but further test of the sort that you are probably not able to do would be necessary to determine anything for certain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts