Question PC won’t install driver updates

Jan 15, 2022
Upgraded my RAM by adding two new sticks and even went into BIOS to set it to 3,500 MHZ. As any time I turn on XMP and try to run it at the full 3,600 my PC gets stuck in BIOS and won’t let me save and quit unless I lower it to 3,500 or lower. Also added a new 2TB SSD. Watched YouTube videos on what to do after installing both.

Shortly after my PC only downloads driver and even window updates but won’t install them. Well it only installs some windows 11 updates but not all. It won’t install nvidia driver updates or intel ones. I even updated BIOS and still won’t install nvidia/intel driver updates. Figured maybe I could take out new RAM, go back to old RAM and see if it’ll let me install driver updates. Just hoping someone can help me first before doing that as I’ve ran out of ideas

kanewolf

Titan
Upgraded my RAM by adding two new sticks and even went into BIOS to set it to 3,500 MHZ. As any time I turn on XMP and try to run it at the full 3,600 my PC gets stuck in BIOS and won’t let me save and quit unless I lower it to 3,500 or lower. Also added a new 2TB SSD. Watched YouTube videos on what to do after installing both.

Shortly after my PC only downloads driver and even window updates but won’t install them. Well it only installs some windows 11 updates but not all. It won’t install nvidia driver updates or intel ones. I even updated BIOS and still won’t install nvidia/intel driver updates. Figured maybe I could take out new RAM, go back to old RAM and see if it’ll let me install driver updates. Just hoping someone can help me first before doing that as I’ve ran out of ideas
Did you add two sticks to existing RAM or replace your RAM with two new sticks ?

Jan 15, 2022
Did you add two sticks to existing RAM or replace your RAM with two new sticks ?
Thank you for the response, I removed my OLD ram for two new sticks of RAM. I wanted to buy two more sticks but with this issues. I’m holding off. They’re in the second & fourth slot since everyone always recommends that. I’ve always had an issue with XMP in BIOS. Maybe it has something to do with my motherboard. Tempted to upgrade my motherboard to see if I can finally run my RAM at the speed I paid for as even with my old RAM it wouldn’t give me the entire MHZ I paid for with XMP on

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for the response, I removed my OLD ram for two new sticks of RAM. I wanted to buy two more sticks but with this issues. I’m holding off. They’re in the second & fourth slot since everyone always recommends that. I’ve always had an issue with XMP in BIOS. Maybe it has something to do with my motherboard. Tempted to upgrade my motherboard to see if I can finally run my RAM at the speed I paid for as even with my old RAM it wouldn’t give me the entire MHZ I paid for with XMP on
I would start by verifying that you have the latest BIOS for your current motherboard.

Jan 15, 2022
When you set the RAM to 3,500 in the BIOS did you also increase the RAM voltage?
Did you try the "automatic" settings in the XMP/DOCP option ?
I haven’t messed with the RAM voltage. Please help me with what I should do there since I’ve never touched that. Yes anytime I set the RAM speed to auto. It just leaves it at 2,200 or 2,400 around there and not the full 3,600 MHZ

Jan 15, 2022
That motherboard has 2.5Gbit NIC. I would be sure you have the latest drivers for that NIC.
Pretty new to PC gaming. As you can tell. Just joined the race in 2021. I did a bios update but when I go to the motherboards update I do see other updates. Am I supposed to download and install those too? The only one I’ve done are bios updates

kanewolf

Titan
Pretty new to PC gaming. As you can tell. Just joined the race in 2021. I did a bios update but when I go to the motherboards update I do see other updates. Am I supposed to download and install those too? The only one I’ve done are bios updates
Sorry, wrong thread... I was thinking this was a network issue rather than a RAM issue thread.

Describe what happens when you enable XMP in the BIOS. That is the best answer to get your RAM speed up. Otherwise you would have to read all the parameters with CPU-Z and set them manually. And that includes the voltage.

Jan 15, 2022
Sorry, wrong thread... I was thinking this was a network issue rather than a RAM issue thread.

Describe what happens when you enable XMP in the BIOS. That is the best answer to get your RAM speed up. Otherwise you would have to read all the parameters with CPU-Z and set them manually. And that includes the voltage.
When I turn on XMP and leave it at auto. I hit save and exit. PC turns off and goes right back into bios with an alert that says “boot system failure” something like that. Then it gives me 3 options. “Load optimized defaults” or “load optimized defaults and boot” I don’t know the exact 2 options and what it says but it’s around those lines. 3rd option is go into bios. I’ve done all options before. It will just turn off xmp and I’ll have to manually turn it on again but even if I leave it on “auto” it will just take me in an endless loop where I can’t exit bios unless I lower the RAM MHZ or have XMP off

kanewolf

Titan
When I turn on XMP and leave it at auto. I hit save and exit. PC turns off and goes right back into bios with an alert that says “boot system failure” something like that. Then it gives me 3 options. “Load optimized defaults” or “load optimized defaults and boot” I don’t know the exact 2 options and what it says but it’s around those lines. 3rd option is go into bios. I’ve done all options before. It will just turn off xmp and I’ll have to manually turn it on again but even if I leave it on “auto” it will just take me in an endless loop where I can’t exit bios unless I lower the RAM MHZ or have XMP off
If XMP won't work, then you have some incompatibility between your RAM and motherboard. You said you have the BIIOS updated. That is typically all you can do without changing hardware.

Jan 15, 2022
If XMP won't work, then you have some incompatibility between your RAM and motherboard. You said you have the BIIOS updated. That is typically all you can do without changing hardware.
I think when I get home from work I’ll take out my current RAM and put the old one back in. See if it’ll let me install updates. I figured it would accept the Corsair vengeance RGB pro 32GB DDR4 since it’s a gigabyte z590

Jan 15, 2022
I think I finally figured it out. I don’t think it’s compatible. Now I still need help to figure out if my ram and motherboard are compatible but according to a website I found. I found the same exact ram model and it says it’s not compatible with my MOBO. I really thought it was just as easy as finding how much GB & MHZ your MOBO can handle. I mean it’s only 32GB.
Motherboard is Gigabyte z590 UD AC ATX & my RAM is… Corsair vengeance RGB pro 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-PIN PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) desktop memory model CMW32GX4M2D3600C18

which the last part is how I saw on the website that it’s not compatible. Figure you’re a lot smart and will know if this website is accurate or not if you match the MOBO & specific RAM and see if it’s compatible. Didn’t realize that last part the long “CMW…” was so important if my theory is right

Jan 15, 2022
I think I finally figured it out. I don’t think it’s compatible. Now I still need help to figure out if my ram and motherboard are compatible but according to a website I found. I found the same exact ram model and it says it’s not compatible with my MOBO. I really thought it was just as easy as finding how much GB & MHZ your MOBO can handle. I mean it’s only 32GB.
Motherboard is Gigabyte z590 UD AC ATX & my RAM is… Corsair vengeance RGB pro 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-PIN PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) desktop memory model CMW32GX4M2D3600C18

which the last part is how I saw on the website that it’s not compatible. Figure you’re a lot smart and will know if this website is accurate or not if you match the MOBO & specific RAM and see if it’s compatible. Didn’t realize that last part the long “CMW…” was so important if my theory is right

took out new RAM for old RAM. Still won’t install some windows updates and no driver updates. So I’m curious if maybe it’s the new SSD I installed. I looked up what you’re supposed to do after installing it. Nothing about BIOS abut maybe I’m missing something I didn’t do or did wrong. I’ll possibly look into removing the SSD and seeing if that helps. Will do that Wednesday afternoon