[SOLVED] PC won’t Post after power outage

sayeeed

Prominent
Jun 9, 2020
I recently built a new pc a few months ago and everything’s been working great with it. The power recently went off today and when I went to go boot the pc up after the power came back on I couldn’t get a display or anything.

When powered on, the motherboard, fans, ram, etc... all have their lights and fans spinning. The PSU also has its fan spinning as well. The monitor gets no display, keyboard/mouse don’t light up, but my astros mixamp lights up which to me seem like the USB’s are getting power from the motherboard, but swapping slots doesn’t give power to anything else but the mixamp. The motherboard has a green LED power light. I did notice that when I reset the pc the motherboards CPU LED flashes quickly once red and the DRAM flashes quickly once orange.

I’ve researched what that means and it points to power issues so I thought maybe it was the PSU but it spins up fine and doesn’t seem to be the issue (but maybe it is, I don’t really know). The motherboard seems to be powering everything on the board, all the lights and fans are working, but I don’t know if there’s another issue. I guess the last thing it could be an issue with the CPU but I don’t really know how to figure out if that’s the problem. Hopefully someone here will be able to help provide some insight.

If anyone needs more info let me know.

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390–A
CPU: Intel i7-9700k
GPU: Nvidia 2070 super
RAM: T-Force Delta RBG (2 x 8GB)
PSU: Raidmax Scorpio series 635w

Solution
I had plans to upgrade in the future anyways but I’ve had that lying around before and figured it would work for the time being. I just didn’t know if that meant the PSU was guaranteed the problem because I don’t want to buy a $100 PSU for that not to fix the problem.

There's no guarantee of anything. Unless you have other parts to test, swapping out parts is going to be a key way into testing what happened. The component of your PC that is junk is a better place to start than the parts that are of very high quality, especially since the junk component is also the one most likely to be affected by a sudden power outage.

One thing you can try is to reset the CMOS. But even if that's the problem, you still ought to...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'd start with replacing the power supply; that the fan spins doesn't actually mean much. Given that it's absolutely shocking you would pair these specs with a power supply of such low quality anyway, it would be smart to replace it even if your computer was posting. With your computer not posting, this is a no-brainer place to start.

sayeeed

Prominent
Jun 9, 2020
I'd start with replacing the power supply; that the fan spins doesn't actually mean much. Given that it's absolutely shocking you would pair these specs with a power supply of such low quality anyway, it would be smart to replace it even if your computer was posting. With your computer not posting, this is a no-brainer place to start.

I had plans to upgrade in the future anyways but I’ve had that lying around before and figured it would work for the time being. I just didn’t know if that meant the PSU was guaranteed the problem because I don’t want to buy a $100 PSU for that not to fix the problem.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

There's no guarantee of anything. Unless you have other parts to test, swapping out parts is going to be a key way into testing what happened. The component of your PC that is junk is a better place to start than the parts that are of very high quality, especially since the junk component is also the one most likely to be affected by a sudden power outage.

One thing you can try is to reset the CMOS. But even if that's the problem, you still ought to be replacing that power supply; you essentially have a new Ferrari with brakes held together by duct tape.

Solution

sayeeed

Prominent
Jun 9, 2020
Alright a little update:

I ended up buying a new power supply and just uninstalled and reinstalled the new one (a Corsair RM 650x) and it didn’t seem to fix any of the issues. The same problem above is still occurring which is leading me to think that it’s a motherboard issue now. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Again to reiterate, when the pc is turned on the cpu and dram lights light up red / orange for a split second and doesn’t post. Replaced the power supply and same problem occurs. All of this happened after the power went out but the computer was still plugged into a surge protector.

Edit: after pulling out different pieces and testing different RAM slots, I decided to flip the MemOk! from on to off to see if that would make a difference since the boot sequence was stopping at DRAM, and the pc managed to boot without a problem. Currently typing this on the pc. Not sure if it was a PSU problem or what, but the issue seems to be resolved as of now.

Last edited: